OCC Comparison Game #1 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC Comparison Game #1 2003

OK - popular demand requires a new OCC Comparison Game.

Try this one -- there are two viable sites (obviously) you can try (57, 43) which is on a forest, but has three Whales and a Fruit and is on the coast (with 1 river in the city radius) or...
    (49, 39) with one Whale + 2 Fruit (one rivered) with eight river squares, but inland.

Medium map, Deity, Raging -- original save in 2.42, but you can play in MPG if you wish.

Choose whether or not you wish to play with or without huts - there are two very close.

Normal OCC rules - please post your logs below - closing date 31 August - I'm taking a fortnight in august - many others will as well.

SG[1] -
    Attached Files
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Re: OCC Comparison Game #1 2003

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
    OK - popular demand requires a new OCC Comparison Game.

Normal OCC rules - please post your logs below - closing date 31 August - I'm taking a fortnight in august - many others will as well.

SG[1] -
    Where will I find the "normal" OCC rules? I presume in OCC it's OK to pop huts.

And I suppose you will allow me to build Darwin's in my capital

RJM at Sleepers
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

Comment

The Paulicy is here http://www.paulvdb.cistron.nl/occ/occ.htm

The one page quick guide is here http://www.paulvdb.cistron.nl/occ/occref.htm

And a guide to what the log should contain:

Launch and Landing dates

Government changes with dates

WoWs with dates

Dates of first three trade routes

Landmark techs with dates:
      Trade
      Construction
      Sanitation
      Refrigeration
      Automobile
      Computers
      Space Flight

Dates of Population landmarks (8, 12, 24, max)

and of course any and all other information of interest...

SG[1]

Comment

RJM - yes hut popping is allowed - but ELG evidence might suggest that it is counterproductive

SG[1]

Comment

I would love too but...............

/me doesn't think he will have time
          The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

Well, I've just played my turns in 4 of the 5 succession games I'm in, and have only 3 turns left before an AC landing in my own game.

So pencil me in. This will be my first serious attempt at OCC...
            I'm but of -- also of
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

My girlfriend is going away for a month from next week so I'm very tempted to play this. But can someone (preferably a Git volunteer) open a new spoiler thread so I don't accidentally open the wrong end of this thread to download the game and end up finding out where the AI civs are. That could make a heck of a difference to early trade if you know straight off where to send your vans.

Comment

DoY
                If everyone is as rusty at OCC as I am it will be some time before we get to spoilers - but here's a target - I am currently in the 1760s and am about to get Flight

SG[1]

Comment

Well I shan't be holding out too much hope then. I tend to fire through well ahead of the AI until the construction of SS parts. I can obviously only build one a turn so it's a bit disheartening when cities they've only just founded start churning out a structural per turn.
                  It often then comes down to which civ I've chosen.

Are we white?

Anyway - I can't download the game until Tuesday evening but should be able to speed through the game after that.

Comment

It appears that a truly successful OCC is significantly predicated on managing the diplomatic relationships with other civs.

Query: Is there any evidence to suggest that, on average, the more aggressive MGE AI delays the date of the launch vs earlier versions?

Just curious...
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

SG,
                      I am very sorry, but I want to play OCC Fortnight #21 (an Island and a mini Island with barbs) as my 1st OCC. It looks simpler
                      Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Er.
                        Um.

I'm not sure if I should go and fetch my Institute ball and chain, but I was playing last night and accidentally tipped a hut for an advanced tribe. This was only the third or foruth hut I popped but since I had forgotten to save beforehand then I may be in trouble. This led to a daft amount of micromanagament as I tried to get as many shields as possible amassed to buy and then disband a settler while ensuring that my one city (well, the original) was working rubbishy tiles to mean that I never made any "profit" on beakers overall.

Can I please have an official SG ruling on whether I'm allowed to continue this game or whether I have to drop out thanks to my stupidity and need to spend the rest of the month breaking rocks in the Institute.

Actually, aren't the Gits on holiday? Unless someone steps in then I shall continue to play and see what happens when I post my log and save.

Comment

Don't you have your game options toggled with "auto save?"

Document your story as we'll want to hear about it regardless.

I'm not empowered for any kind of ruling, but my personal thought would be to 'do the best you can to minimize the advantage'; document the actions; press forward.
                          Those with lower expectations face fewer disappointments

Comment

I'm in a couple successions and one of Kramsib's Spanish Progressive games, which has grown into a perfectionist's dream (or nightmare?) with about 40 cities in the size 20+ range and half that many on their way. As my endurance wore down and µmgmt cranked up the turns took over an hour.

Remind me SGs, are the fortnights MP or what?
                            (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I always turn the autosave off at the very start of any game because I'm too lazy to keep deleting them from my system and when they all pile up from different games I have to go on a huge .sav killing spree.

I'm afraid that it doesn't make any difference any more.
                              My version of civ won't let me initiate dip relations remotely in this game and that doesn't give me a hope of OCC success. At Chieftain or Warlord or even Prince maybe then I might be able to go it alone but at Deity you need the diplomatic relations to succeed and I can't afford to waste resources by building a unit and lunking him up to the other civs' territory every time I fancy a chat or want to beg some tech. I also played too long into the game to make it worthwhile starting with a patched game.
                              Sorry all, but this game just wasn't fated to be.
                              On the other hand, now that I know some of the map, I'll let you all know the coordinates of two decent city sites for a small fee.

Comment

Working...
                              X