No announcement yet.

Evil, Evil AI ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Or the more simplistic approach. Take out the entire civ in one turn. That used to work best with me, And the first AI that complained got it next.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Gatekeeper
      From what I can tell, the AI will *not* sacrifice its own troops to nuke a city.

Gatekeeper
      Believe me, it does
      I remember trying to let partisans alive in the ww79 scenario. Poor guys, the AI nuked them mercilessly
      Aux bords mystérieux du monde occidental

Comment

LaFayette, I would think MGE would be more aggressive than 2.42 with nukes, and the ww79 scen has the war flag set.

GateKeeper, what change in rules.txt spurs the AI to make heavy use of Cruise Missiles against land targets? Change them from 0 (Attack) to 1 (defend)?

At least it isn't SMAC, where the nuke creates a 3-tile-radius crater!
        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

I'm almost set in stone when it comes to playing style: Unless I have an aggressive nearby AI civilization, I tend to focus on building up my own cities in the Stone and Medieval ages in preparation for starship building and offensive military operations in the Industrial and Modern eras.
          Why wait that long? Just think of a vet Elephant as an early form of howitzer.

--------------------

SG(2)
          "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
          "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
            GateKeeper, what change in rules.txt spurs the AI to make heavy use of Cruise Missiles against land targets? Change them from 0 (Attack) to 1 (defend)?
            I just dropped the cost of the missiles from 50 or 60 shields to 40 shields. After that, the AI stopped storing the missiles and began using them on my port cities, armored divisions, shock troops (custom unit) and spies, in addition to the usual targeting of ships.

Before I made the change, it was not unusual for the AI to store six to 10 missiles in each of its cities for exclusive use against naval targets. Now it uses them almost right away and never stores more than two missiles per city (fewer missiles stored because it's actually using them).

Gatekeeper
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits

Why wait that long? Just think of a vet Elephant as an early form of howitzer.

--------------------

SG(2)
              Hmm ... well, maybe I can put the howie sound file in place of the elephant one to at least keep up part of the illusion.

"FIRE!" **thump, thump**

"What's this? Howies that produce dung?!"

Gatekeeper
              "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by La Fayette
                Believe me, it does
                I remember trying to let partisans alive in the ww79 scenario. Poor guys, the AI nuked them mercilessly
                Huh. Well, I'll experiment a bit more then and see what happens. I hope my hypothesis holds water, though, 'cause it'd be an el cheapo way to keep cities from getting hammered by nukes. We shall have to see how forward-looking the Civ II programmers were back in the mid-1990s.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Some things seem to be different when scenerios are used. We'll see what you find in a normal game.

RAH
                  It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Hmm ... well, maybe I can put the howie sound file in place of the elephant one to at least keep up part of the illusion.
                    "FIRE!" **thump, thump**
                    "What's this? Howies that produce dung?!"
                    Think of it as another form of ammunition:

"Sir, the catapults are out of rocks!
                    Run over to the pachyderm lager and gather all the pachy paddies you can find!"

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                      Some things seem to be different when scenerios are used. We'll see what you find in a normal game.

RAH
                      My theory was literally blown out of the water last night.

I left two AI partisans next to a just-conquered city and the AI attempted to sacrifice them when it fired *four* nuclear missiles at the city. Fortunate for me, at least one square of the city's environs was w/i the SDI Defense shield of another city, so the nukes didn't get through.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Yep. When people first started making scenarios, there was a lot of discussion about the differences.
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Heh. I finally won after using a mixture of amphibious shock troop assaults and barrages of cruise missiles on Mongolia's Indonesian provinces/cities. Even a city defended by SDI Defense and anti-missile batteries has to give way under a repeated cruise missile attack, followed up by invasion from the sea.

Too bad the year was 2183.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Lesson learned for the future.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Too bad the year was 2183.
                              2183!

How do you manage to finish those games? I confess that once I have a big lead, and it's a sure thing that I'm going to win, I lose interest. On gigamaps, I don't reach that point as quickly as on smaller maps (that's why I play on them) - but I usually stop playing and start a new game anywhere from about 1750 to 1950. What do you do to keep the micromanaging, the moving 100s of units at a time, from becoming tedious?

Serious question, btw - I've always wanted to find ways to make the endgames less of a chore.
                              "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                              "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                                Serious question, btw - I've always wanted to find ways to make the endgames less of a chore.
                                With MPGE do what needs to be done then Ctrl + N. Place cities out of the front line into Capitalisation.

--------------------

SG(2)
                                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Working...
                                X