Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evil, Evil AI ...

Everyone:

... if it isn't busy nuking cities that were a part of its civilization just a year before, it's sending those damnable stealth jet fighters against my howitzers, decimating their ranks. And then it's firing cruise missiles at my armored divisions and port cities!

Moral of the story, kiddos: Don't let the AI nations get too advanced or widespread unless you want to have one helluva knock-down drag-out endgame fight.

(And, above all, *don't* let the AI get huge island cities in Indonesia! Those are bears to take out ...)

Gatekeeper
    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

yes the ai is like a tree, you must chop it down before it grows big and tall and thinks its proud
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Yep. I quit that particular game. I know it's just a game, but I got sick and tired of seeing city after city get nuked. Big, strong cities reduced to nuclear rubble because the AI has no other strategy. And half the time it doesn't even bother to reoccupy the nuked cities. Just plain exasperating, IMO.

Heh. My own homeland in North, Central and South America is fine, along with conquered Europe, Middle East and Africa. But Mongolia was doing a fine job of nuking everything else in Asia as I forced the AI back towards the Pacific Ocean.

BTW, has anyone bothered to mess around with the specs of the stealth jet fighter. It seems overpowered to me. (Yeah, I don't like how it can take out six or seven howitzers at once, either.)

Gatekeeper
      "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

Comment

Try early game trading so your advances come faster. If you have to worry about the Nuclear Age you are not concentrating enough of your efforts during the Stone Age

-----------------------

SG(2)
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Yeah, the trick is to keep them in the stone age.

OR USE the standard bait for the AI.
          A battleship covered by a few vet aegis cruisers will attract AI cruise missiles.
          An SDI less city covered by SDI in a city next to it will attrack nucks.
          And forward armor and howies on mountains will attract air fire.

Just sit back and watch the AI waste all it's resources.

RAH
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

If you have the rest of the world, you should have the gold to rush build SDI. Buy a temple or barracks as the first thing when you capture a city, then rush SDI. If you wait, you have to wait for unrest to subside. Most of the time, you will avoid a nuke.

Howitzers have two movement points; fire them once, then move them to safety if you fear counterattack.

Comment

Once, playing the WWII scenario I moved a battleship out covered by a few vet aegis and the AI fired over 75 cruise missles at the stack. ALL SURVIVED
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                Once, playing the WWII scenario I moved a battleship out covered by a few vet aegis and the AI fired over 75 cruise missles at the stack. ALL SURVIVED
                All you really need for this trick is a BB (the bait), one AEGIS (the anti-fighter defense) and a bomber (the cruise missile blocker). The missiles will fly out to your BB and then 'hang' in the air around it, since they can't attack due to the stacked bomber. When your turn arrives, you can destroy all the stacked 'hanging' missiles with the BB and AEGIS.

This tactic also has worked against U-boats in the RF scenario... probably wouldn't work as well in regular Civ2, as the AI doesn't seem to cheat-build subs the way it does cruise missiles
                "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

Protect the howitzers: if you cannot move them, stack a few good defensive units with them, or better yet rush-build a fort where they stand. Keep some pre-charged Engineers around; with enough of them you can make a fort and a forest in the same turn, greatly increasing defensive strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Six Thousand Year Old Man
                    All you really need for this trick is a BB (the bait), one AEGIS (the anti-fighter defense) and a bomber (the cruise missile blocker). The missiles will fly out to your BB and then 'hang' in the air around it, since they can't attack due to the stacked bomber. When your turn arrives, you can destroy all the stacked 'hanging' missiles with the BB and AEGIS.
                    We were playing for records and bomber stacking wasn't allowed. But yes that will work too.
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                      Try early game trading so your advances come faster. If you have to worry about the Nuclear Age you are not concentrating enough of your efforts during the Stone Age

-----------------------

SG(2)
                      I'm almost set in stone when it comes to playing style: Unless I have an aggressive nearby AI civilization, I tend to focus on building up my own cities in the Stone and Medieval ages in preparation for starship building and offensive military operations in the Industrial and Modern eras.

I do try to mix things up now and then, but early warfare takes quite a bit of time. It's exhilarating to use AI rail networks to wipe out the heart of an AI civ in a single turn, and this is usually possible by the Industrial Age.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by rah
                        Yeah, the trick is to keep them in the stone age.

OR USE the standard bait for the AI.
                        A battleship covered by a few vet aegis cruisers will attract AI cruise missiles.
                        An SDI less city covered by SDI in a city next to it will attrack nucks.
                        And forward armor and howies on mountains will attract air fire.

Just sit back and watch the AI waste all it's resources.

RAH
                        I do all of that, but when I attack, I attack massively and it's hard to cover all my troops in that manner. So when I complain about losing six to 10 divisions in an AI attack, I usually have another 30 to 70 divisions nearby. Just to put a little perspective on my losses.

One thing about the AI in the Mac version: It automatically fires cruise missiles at transports, even if they're shielded by battleships and AEGIS cruisers. Even if I try to use "decoy" convoys, the darn thing "knows" which convoys have transports w/i them, and attacks accordingly. Most of the time the convoys survive, but one time I had three AEGIS cruisers stacked over two fully-loaded transports, and the entire convoy (with its battleship) was blown out of the water by, oh, 60 or so Zulu cruise missiles.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by geofelt
                          If you have the rest of the world, you should have the gold to rush build SDI. Buy a temple or barracks as the first thing when you capture a city, then rush SDI. If you wait, you have to wait for unrest to subside. Most of the time, you will avoid a nuke.
                          Actually, that's the first thing I do when taking an AI city: If it doesn't have an SDI Defense, I automatically spend 800 gold to buy it. Unfortunately, the AI has a nasty habit of nuking said city just before my next turn. So, providing the city isn't occupied, I get the SDI Defense, but the dang city is half the size it once was!

Howitzers have two movement points; fire them once, then move them to safety if you fear counterattack.
                          I do this more often than not, but sometimes terrain keeps me from being able to spread them out or stack 'em in fortresses. That and sometimes I'm just keen on taking the AI city and keep pounding at it, even with troops that aren't up to full strength or full movement points. So I'm my own worst tactician sometimes.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Originally posted by Elephant
                            Protect the howitzers: if you cannot move them, stack a few good defensive units with them, or better yet rush-build a fort where they stand. Keep some pre-charged Engineers around; with enough of them you can make a fort and a forest in the same turn, greatly increasing defensive strength.
                            Heh. I've reprogrammed my RULES.TXT file so that the AI now targets land divisions with cruise missiles more liberally than it ever did in the past. A lot of the time now, I just try to stack my howitzers in fortresses, because if I put, say, an armor division (or two or three) with them, the AI fires cruise missiles at the stack. Same holds true if I stack shock troops (custom unit) or spies with the howies — guaranteed AI target for cruise missiles.

I do make use of multiple engineers and insta-forts, but have yet to create forests.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Everyone:

Maybe this is old news, but I think I found a way to keep the AI from hitting one of its immediate former cities with nuclear weapons: Namely, when you take the city, make sure to let one or two AI partisan units that pop up right next to the city survive, instead of destroying them all. From what I can tell, the AI will *not* sacrifice its own troops to nuke a city.

Gatekeeper

Comment

Working...
                              X