Leo's Workshop doing stuff I don't want

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leo's Workshop doing stuff I don't want

I recently created a unit for Civ2 to have something similar to the Impi Warrior from Civ3. It requires Warrior Code to build and becomes obsolete with the discovery of Guerrilla Warfare.

My intent with this unit was to have a phalanx with 2 movement points so it could keep up with my attacking force in the early stages of the game (protecting my mounted units). And by making it obsolete with Guerrilla Warfare, they would be replaced with Partisans using Leo's Workshop. I tested this out in cheat-mode and everything worked fine. I built an Impi, triggered cheat, built Leo's Workshop, and gave myself Guerrilla Warfare. Leo's did what it should and converted my Impi to a Partisan.

Now I was playing my first game with my new unit...I had a few Impis running around with my mounted units...I built Leo's Workshop, but did not have Guerrilla Warfare yet...then I discover Gunpowder and Leo's converts all my Impis to Musketeers! I thought maybe it was a bug, so I went back into my cheat-test mode, and it happened again.

AND I can't build any more Impis now that Gunpowder has been discovered...

Why would Leo do that to me? Is there anything I can do to make sure I keep my Impis until Partisans become available?

u need a two move ai to play......truly sad....
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Can anybody provide a useful response?

Comment

You'll probably get a better response posting it in this forum

It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Leo's upgrades archers to musketeers, which also have a warrior code prereq; I suspect that it considers your impi unit to also be obsolete, since it has the same domain(0=land) and role(1=defense). This is like a phalanx getting upgraded to musketeer, even though it is obsoleted by feudalism.
          If you want the impi to persist, put "nil" in the expires field.

Comment

The musketeer makes any lesser defensive unit (land, sea or air) obsolete, so I don't thinking changing to "nil" will make a difference. This might prevent your Impis from getting upgraded by Leo, but it won't prevent them from going obsolete and becoming unbuildable.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

What you could do is move the musketeers to an unused slot, and make the unit in the musketeer slot a statsless unit with "no" as prequisite.
              The reason the game is behaving like this is becouse the musketeer slot has special hard coded attributes (it allways makes all "lesser" (which by civ is a rather lose definiation) units obsolete upon it's discovery).
              The problem should go away if you copy the stats of the musketeer to one of the extra units at the bottom of the list (and adjust the units.gif acordingly).
              The knight works similarly for units with the role attack and a movement rate of more than two.
              No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Thanks for your help, guys. Henrik's advice did the trick...the only drawback is that I have to research Fuedalism in order to advance my warriors/phalanxes to pikemen before they become Musketeers...previously they'd do that automatically for the same reason Mercator mentioned...but the end result is better...one of my goals in the game is to force myself to spread out my research so that I am not researching Atomic Theory while I still haven't discovered the mysteries of Iron Working or something odd like that...

Comment

Working...
                X