Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isn't it about time they release the civ2 source code?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by H Tower

you'll find the retort to this statement in an earlier post in this thread. I suggest you go look for it
    hi ,

missed it , .... *sigh*

thanks

have a nice day
    - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
    - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
    WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
      I don't think so... MicroProse was bought by Hasbro, which then, I believe sold it's computer gaming department (focussing back on boardgames) to Infogrames. Infogrames changed its name to Atari.

Firaxis is a separate company that came about when Sid Meier split off from MicroProse (or was it Hasbro by then?), like Big Huge Games.
      But Firaxis and BHG are only game design companies, so their games are published by different companies. In the case of Firaxis that's Atari (Infogrames), for BHG (at least RoN) that's Microsoft.
      Merc, reading those 2 paragraphs makes my head hurt.

I must say that I'm stunned that a company has made the strategic decision to change it's name back(?) to Atari. For all of us born after 1980, Atari is a byword for bad, outdated computing technology.
      'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
      - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

I'm not sure if Infogrames (originally French) has anything to do with Atari. I think they just bought the name or something.
        And Atari is still very much a household name, especially now the people that grew up with Atari are reaching their late twenties and 30's. The perfect crowd to sell computer games to.
        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Earlier in this thread, someone mentioned that new people still join the civ2 community...well...I'm one of those new people! I just didn't have internet connection for the past 5 years. Too poor.

But I'm a civ2 freak, who wants to start writing scenarios.

Viva la civ2! May it live forever.
          No greater love has one than to lay down their life for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
            And the limits weren't really problems with any scenarios,
            THis is not entirely true. I've just hit 256 cities in my Earth of 1997 on a Foolhardily Large Gigamap scenario and I am going around to delete cities of other nations to give to the Neutrals.

Ideally I'd be working with around 300 cities or so but as it is I think we're going to have to put barbarian hordes down in most areas to represent the cities.
            "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

That's why I added...

but that's mostly because the scenario creators have been so inventive in trying to bend the rules and use and abuse all of civ2's features and bugs.

I meant to say: The only reason we've been able to deal with the limits so far is because we can still get something workable in spite of them (e.g. like using barbarians, as you mentioned).

In other, less customisable games, the limitations might have made it completely impossible to make (certain types of) scenarios in the first place (e.g. Civ3).

But getting the source would make life a lot easier (well, "life"... make that "some aspects of scenario creation" ).
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Working...
              X