Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ2 Demo Game #3 Finalization

I want to summarize what I think we agreeing the Civ2 Demo Game #3 will be:

1. Almost entirely Land, with some local ponds and rivers for some irrigation. We have a premade map unknown to us if I understand things correctly. I understand it to be a rather hard land, though, which should make things interesting.

2. Military conquest intended.

3. All settings hardest (raging hordes, for example).

4. Uncertain about using Wonders (shall we build any or not?)

5. Some suggestions about different climates and ages of the World. On the dry side.

Let's settle these questions before we elect new leaders. I think it would be better to attract interested players first and choose leaders from among them. Giving everyone a feeling of involvement right from the start will be important.

If there is no objection, as VP (assigned election responsibility) I will organize the first elections of the next game (standing for no elective office myself) when the settings of the game are chosen and announced.

I think we of this game can choose the settings of the next as long as they are interesting and different to attract new players.

Does all this seem reasonable as a way of formally organizing the next game?

Discussion open...

Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
    Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
    Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
    Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

sounds good to me - although if its a premade map, i don't think we get options for age or climates.

and just in case anyone is wondering, even though I've only had 2 turns as minister, I'm planning on taking a turn as an interested citizen again Might run for office in may or june
    Insert witty phrase here

Comment

SCG, good for you. It might be intersting if we decided that all the leaders of the next game be "new", just to get some interest in participation up.
      Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner

Comment

I will be an interested citizen next time around, rather than a Minister.

I like the idea of a non-Minister taking the premade map and coming up with an 'interesting' starting location to make the game more fun.
        "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
        "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

I am more that prepared to arrange starting locations as I believe it is my map that people are refering to. As I will be away during the opening phases of the game, this eliminates any conflict of interest on my part
          "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
          "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

Seems like a good plan. So we're starting to change our win conditions to further the challenge, eh?

Has anyone ever won without any Wonders before? And are we allowed to capture wonders?
            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

"No Wonders" would be an interesting game. But we have to be able to capture them. Just because there is a Wonder in a city we want to capture, that shouldn't mean we can't take it!

So, let's say we will "build no Wonders"?

Comment

To be really challenged, if we win such a game, let's think about a game with no CARAVANS.

Has anyone done THIS at Deity?
                Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

sounds good to me.
                  the idea of a NONE-minister picking an interesting startinglocation also sounds good.

I don't know about the wonders, they aren't one of the points we draw our strength from(I thought).The idea of not using any caravans/freight sounds more interesting because we seem to use as source of power(used to rush wonders,get beakers and gold)
                  I would rather suggest letting go of the caravans then the wonders(without caravans/freights our possibilities to build wonders will be smaller, no caravans to complete, less gold to rush it)

maybe we also should limit our govt choice?(no rep/demo)

Shade
                  ex-president of Apolytonia former King of the Apolytonian Imperium
                  "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." --Thomas Alva Edison (1847-1931)
                  shameless plug to my site:home of Civ:Imperia(WIP)

Comment

This is starting to sound like a succession game...
                    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                      To be really challenged, if we win such a game, let's think about a game with no CARAVANS.

Has anyone done THIS at Deity?
                      Yes, and yes to the No Wonders game as well - there have been 2 succession games (Civ2-General) in the last year with these conditions.

The no-wonders game was tricky, IIRC, but the the No Caravans game (no diplomats or spies, either) wasn't that hard. ICS, and then a crushing force of Crusaders
                      "I'm a guy - I take everything seriously except other people's emotions"

"Never play cards with any man named 'Doc'. Never eat at any place called 'Mom's'. And never, ever...sleep with anyone whose troubles are worse than your own." - Nelson Algren
                      "A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic." - Joseph Stalin (attr.)

Comment

a poll perhaps is in order.....

obviously the difficultly will be Diety
                        however things like barbs options and number of players could be set at either max or random.

Additionally if people want me to set up start locations, that will have to be polled upon as well.

Additional I assume this Civilisation will be called New New Apolyton and the leader will continue to be Great Leader, maybe Greater Leader.... and the colour of the civ will remain yellow.
                        "the bigger the smile, the sharper the knife"
                        "Every now and again, declare peace. it confuses the hell out of your enemies."

Comment

using the pre-made map and building no wonders sounds interesting

if were we to go with no caravans/freight, then i'd suggest allowance of wonder building
                          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Winning without wonders or caravans is no biggie, I've done it before a couple of times.

I suggest setting barbs to huts only as the barbs only slow the AI down, not human players.

Comment

This should be an interesting game to participate in, once we are space borne lets go!!

Comment

Working...
                              X