The End Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End Game

I've played on a few turns from 1930 and launched our space ship - eta 1939. Often in EL games, after the ship is launched, I sleep my units and just hit the return key until it lands. However, in this game, I thought the honour of all the others who have contributed to the game deserved more. So I am playing out an end game drama, at war with everybody - the Vikings, the Zulus, the Celts, the Persians, the Sioux and 2 late arrivals, the Spanish and the Russians. The Celts have been eliminated and the Persians, Sioux, Spanish and Russians are down to 1 or 2 cities each.

The real action is with the Vikings and the Zulus where we are playing a cross between a war of attrition and ping-pong. I think I have the upper hand since our resources (money) make up for the lack of military genius.

I don't think I will be able to play today, so I expect to post the save and log on Monday.

RJM at Sleeper's
    Fill me with the old familiar juice

My turnset finished with a whimper rather than a bang. I had a large number of howies ready to go for the Zulus and the Vikings, but the railway lines had been destroyed in the fighting so they ended up sitting on their hands. I captured Orleans because it was the last turn - I wouldn't have left so many units vulnerable otherwise. Anyway, here is the log.

AD 1930 I rearrange the citizens , slightly increasing production and income. I clear up as much polution as I can. I provoke a war with the Celts and when the dust settles we have gained Dinas Powys, Abergavenny and Cardiff. The Celtic empire fragments with the Spanish taking about 8 cities reasonably well away from us and we are about 1200 richer I use the wealth to advance the construction of spaceship parts.

AD 1931 All treaties hold! I sign peace treaty and establish embassy with Spanish. Persians give us 500. Since we now control the Pyramids, I sell off the surplus Granaries and use the proceeds to advance the construction of spaceship parts.

AD 1932 Provoke war with the Celts and captured Iona Caerphilly and Rhymney before agreeing a cease-fire. Cease-fire wiith the Zulus expires. I ask for tribute and they declare war. I capture Marseilles and agree a cease fire. On route the Vikings declare war. I destroy Tuegela, but they aren't interested in a cease-fire. Rush lots of spceship parts.

AD 1933 Vikings capture Isipesi and make a mess of Swazi. Vikings launch spaceship eta 1948. Provoke war with Celts and capture all their cities, but not much gold. Try to get tribute from the spanish but they declare war so I capture Tintagel and agree cease fire. I capture Bactra to pursude the Persians to agree to a cease fire. Recapture Isipezi and capture Cannae and Zunguin, but Vikings still will not talk. My defences are now virtually non existant and I am relying on the Vikings offering a cease-fire if they capture a city. I sell all the universities and granaries, but that doesn't raise enough money, so I sell some sewer systems and aqueducts. This enables me to rush all the remaing space ship parts.

AD 1934 Vikings capture Zunguin and Rheims, but ask for war with Persians for cease-fire. I have to refuse - regrefully. Vikings capture Persian capital and split their tiny empire! We launch with eta 1939. Russians refuse to give tribute and declare war. Capture Samaria, but Russians continue to fight. Provoke war with Spanish in an effort to destroy them, but I hadn't noticed that they have a couple of cities not on their main island. At least it will allow me to move howies and armour across to fight the Vikings. I recapture Rheims and Zunguin from the Vikings to keep the ball rolling.

AD 1935 We lose Armagh which i had carelessly left empty (to the Spanish IIRC), Cannae and Isipezi to the Vikings and Marseille and Rouen to the Zulus. We recapture Armagh. We recapture Rouen and Marseille. We recapture Isipezi and Cannae.

AD 1936 Ice caps melt. We lose Marseille to the Zulus and Swazi to the Vikings. We liberate Swazi from the Vikings and capture Amatikulu. We liberate Marseille from the Zulus.

AD 1937 We lose Bapedi, Isipezi, Zanguin and Amatikulu to the Vikings who also nuke Swazi but don't capture it. We liberate Bapedi, Isipezi and Zunguin. We bribe back Amankulu and capture Issus and Isandhlwana.

AD 1938 We lose Marseille to the Zulus and Isipezi, Isandhlwana and Bapedi to the Vikings. The vikings nuke Isandhlwana which destroys the railway network. They also destroy Amankulu. We recapture Bapedi,Isipezi and Marseille. I capture Orleans, but have to stop at that point.

Well it's been a long haul but our space ship is about to land. Victory belongs to all the people of Apolytonia who have worked to bring this about.

RJM at Sleeper's
    Attached Files

Comment

I wasn't able to get in any civ last night so i will finish up my part tonight and post.

1939 was an OK landing time, I think i will have a hard time beating that.
      Wizards sixth rule:
      "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
      Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

Originally posted by Zedd
        I wasn't able to get in any civ last night so i will finish up my part tonight and post.

1939 was an OK landing time, I think i will have a hard time beating that.
        Good luck. I don't think it matters what date we land - winning is the only thing. It didn't look possible in the 1850s!

RJM at Sleeper's

Comment

The Apolytonia Periodical News Report

It is 1936 and our space ship has finally launched! Landing expected in 1946 (2 years earlier than Vikings ) the configuration was 33-7p-6f-1m-1l-1s There was a slight goof up when trying to build the 7th fuel cell and I felt it better to launch without it than wait 1 more turn.

The the Viking empire has lost most of its major cities (only 1 over size 12 remains in thier hands.) and thier gold supply cut to 1/3 its previous glory, They are now readily accepting peace and providing tribute to our great empire.

The Celts are a bit more stubborn and have 8 cities left, I plan to launch a full scale, multi front invasion to take all but thier capitol to subdue them. Then the plan is to swithch to demo and the president until 1946 for the big finish.
          Last edited by Zedd; April 14, 2005, 17:24.
          Wizards sixth rule:

Comment

Great stuff!

I wondered about celebrating, but I still had a lot of trouble with the Vikings, so I didn't think I could afford to switch out of fundamentalism. You should have quite an empire when you finish!

RJM at Sleeper's

Comment

I have to say the endgame went very well for me with the slightly annoying exception of a 2-turn change to democacy due to a forgoten city with LOTS of black faces.

Sumary:

Solidifyed our claim on Zulu-Viking land, The Vikings now only control the north west of the continent and some of the Persian Island. They refuse to talk to us anymore.

The Celts have a size 3 city that I could not reach and Thier capitol size 22 with lots of trade but no units We were of course at peace with them and I think "receptive"

The persians were Happy to grand us peace and were also "receptive"

We finnished with an over abundance of Luxuries for a happiness return, and only a few units and about 2000G. Future tech 1&2 were discovered on the same turn once we switched to Democracy but none were discovered afterward.
              Attached Files
              Wizards sixth rule:

Comment

Some pics
                Attached Files
                Wizards sixth rule:

Comment

That RED face was not there when I hit "End of Turn"
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Zedd; April 14, 2005, 17:28.
                  Wizards sixth rule:

Comment

pic3
                    Attached Files
                    Wizards sixth rule:

Comment

Last one I promise
                      Attached Files
                      Wizards sixth rule:

Comment

What a brilliant result - well done.

About 7 months ago, one of our citizens said " We pushed our restrictions to the limits of a demo (committee) game and we lost. Let's pull up our socks and get back at a new one. We've learned it is possible to lose by restricting ourselves too much. Now let's find a fair game to play!"

But actually the restrictions were not too much and we triumphed. The format changed a little, but the spirit of the game remained.

There have been many citizens during the course of this game and they all deserve a mention. If I have forgotten anyone, please post.

Lady and gentlemen, give yourselves a round of applause.

atawa
                        atomant
                        Bear
                        Ben Kenobi
                        Bloody Monk
                        Broken_Erika
                        Cataphract887
                        Cavebear
                        duke o'york
                        H Tower
                        Hydey
                        Ljube-ljcvetko
                        MrWhereItsAt
                        SCG
                        shade
                        Sparrowhawk
                        RJM at Sleeper's
                        yaroslav
                        Zedd

Comment

I can not express to you fellows how good it makes me feel that this game has been finished--THANKS!!

And--Great Job!!

This was a most interesting puzzle, indeed!!

Somewhere I remember seeing a discussion about how to "clean up" a cheat mode altered game to remake it as a regular (closed tech list/non-cheat mode) game. Remaking this game as an advanced start from just before getting Navigation would make for a very good challenge.

But we got there first!! Congrats to all who made this a success.

Monk
                          so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody Monk

Congrats to all who made this a success.

Monk
                            I agree - congratulations to all involved, but especially to you and a few others who took us through from about 1850 when all seemed lost to 1900 when victory was possible. Consolidating our position against the Sioux and the Egyptians was the key to our success.

RJM at Sleeper's

Comment

Wow........wow.........and WOW!!

I have followed this forum infrequently in the last several months, and while I was pleased to see all of you making positive progress against the AI, I am not sure I believed in victory until now .

Congrats to all of you Well done!!

/me
                              "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Comment

Working...
                              X