1380-1540 Anno Domini: The Quiet Age

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1380-1540 Anno Domini: The Quiet Age

1400AD - I get the message that our food reserves are running low - one more turn of Xinning left until we need to stock some more grain. Hope I get the Xinning right...
    Moreover, perhaps as a protest to the uncertainty of having a new and unfamiliar ruler driving his constituents to the brink of starvation, the 'We Love the Consul Day' is cancelled. Either that or those were just the celebrations farewelling Zedd from his popular government.

1420AD - Celts abandon building Mike's Chapel.

Whew! I managed to pull off the Xinning OK - everyone is still here. Now to go back to food for a turn. Maybe I'll trickily try to end up with only the tiniest surplus necessary whilst still having some Scientists, and then can go to a ful turn of Xinning next. Hmm, I see that doesn't really work. Looks like the most prouctive thing to do is put them all back on the map working and up the lux to 20% to keep the peace.

1440AD - Celts reundertake Mike's Chapel. I get the feeling I will be typing this a lot...
    Back to Xinning.

1460AD - Not much...

1480AD - Celts abandon... you get the picture

1500AD -

1510AD - Celts reundertake Mike's Chapel

1520AD - Harbour built. I change to a Caravan. Science meter turns red - looks like we only have a few more turns until Astronomy.

1530AD - Persians build Shakespeare's Theatre in Persepolis.

1540AD - Herodotus rates us as 7th in the list of largest Civilisations - Hopeless. The Zulus start on Darwin's Voyage

That's it. I've rejigged the workforce in Apolytonia to stock some food again, and it looks like after next turn we will get Mathematics, then hopefully we will have the choice of going for Astronomy and University. After Astronomy finally comes Navigation.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Herodotus described this as 'Hopeless'. Little does he know of the potential we hold within our City Walls....

Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; April 13, 2004, 05:10.
    Consul.

Comment

We are now proudly venturing off the coast to meet our citizens' food needs.

Consul.

Comment

Lord alone know what this guy is on about... a few hundred gold is not quite what I would call rich...

Consul.

Comment

From the oh-so scientific method of visual comparison (Banana help us - I am also in charge of Science! ), I conclude that one more such turn of Xinning will net us Mathematics.

Consul.

Comment

And finally the savegame, for Ministers and all interested parties.
            Attached Files
            Consul.

Comment

Size 8, 1 red face, well its not the first time I've been proven wrong and I couldn't be more happy.

I think the people are glad to have some fresh blood in the Palace,

P.S. could the consul post the Tax settings & related infor for the Xin and Non Xin turns?
              Wizards sixth rule:
              "The only sovereign you can allow to rule you is reason."
              Can't keep me down, I will CIV on.

Comment

Sure, what exactly do you want? Tax settings for both Xin and non-Xin turns, and the stats on taxes/beakers/lux actually generated during those turns?
                Consul.

Comment

please

No need for a turn by turn just the two settings and thier returns.
                  Since we have 1 city i can see the non zin turn by looking at the screen shot so maybe a screen shot of a non-Xin turn would help most.

Hail Great Consul MWIA,
                  Wizards sixth rule:

Comment

The peoples' wish is my command.

Non-Xin turn is as above. Rates are 20 Lux, 20 Sci and 60 Tax.

Xin turn is here. Rates are 0 Lux, 20 Sci and 80 Tax.

Consul.

Comment

MWIA,

Was the city able to celebrate day @ size 7?

If so perhaps we could consider building a "free" settler to irrigate and road our second city for faster growth, afterwards it could join the city to get teh celebrations moving in thier new home. If we get the free citizen in the city then the 5+ food eavery non xin turn would only be 3+ but would be enought to support the city, and maybe even another settler if we wanted to get our new city to size 3 fast for day.

Then again, this may be a horrible idea.
                      Wizards sixth rule:

Comment

It'll only celebrate if I shove in some entertainers. It certainly didn't during the normal Xin/non-Xin turns.

By new city do you mean one we will found on this island or one for later? I think that, with little better to do with the shields this could be an idea, but dropping our pop is a bit risky sounding, and would require some careful planning to ensure it works.
                        Consul.

Comment

I meant a new city on another continent, After we get a caravel built.

I am working on the assumption that building a new city on an AI inhabited continent is our goal.

With the harbor and collesium we could set our capitol to celebrate for a couple turns and build a settler to get the "free" settler so that our pop never drops below 8.
                          With a food surplus of 5 we could build two like this and get that city to size 3 in 3 turns plus what ever the travel time for the caravel is. Then the new city could celebrate/build settlers while our capitol Xins and we could begin expanding rather quickly, especially if we land near an AI civ that we can trade with.

Once we get our first caravel I think it would be best to build as many of settlers as we can and get a couple cities going so that we have the resources to build adequate defense and trade units. Ideally we could build 2-3 size 3 cities with settlers and use celebrations to grow them from there.

all IMO of course.
                          Wizards sixth rule:

Comment

I think it would be more productive if we established several cities with 1 Settler each then sent additional ones to build the population up. We get the free production from each city center that way, plus the 1 worker.

1 size 3 city = 4 production squares. 3 size 1 cities = 6 production squares.

I don't think we will be able to cause Apolytonia to celebrate once we have a Caravel out of port (and it will almost always be out of port). Won't that cause unhappiness?
                            Civ2 Demo Game #1 City-Planner, President, Historian
                            Civ2 Demo Game #2 Minister of War,President, Minister of Trade, Vice President, City-Planner
                            Civ2 Demo Game #3 President, Minister of War, President
                            Civ2 Demo Game #4 Despot, City-Planner, Consul

Comment

I didn't think w would have a problem with the Caravel out of the city.... One non-settler unit should be OK, under Republic.

cavebear's suggestions sounds good so far - the many small cities thing is why ICS works so well. We won't go that far of course (it would be an achievement in itself to get successful ICS going now anyway!). Once Apolytonia has built a few settlers and is Xinning again, I think we should keep cranking out Caravans. They will be worth a fair amount being from another landmass, assuming w keep the pop up and can get them to some big steamy AI city somewhere.
                              Consul.

Comment

Working...
                              X