No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for MarkG and DanQ:

As a long time registered user of Apolyton who is not a frequent poster, I question the logic of having a 500 post minimum for users to be able to have a custom avatar. What is the reason for using Post #'s rather then length of time to determine whether someone can have a custom avatar?

I have seen much spam, mostly in off topic, but elsewhere as well, an many pcr's as a result, so I assume you do not what people deliberatly raising their post counts by spamming, yet you give incentives to new users to quickly get to 500 posts in this way.

A quick check of my profile will show that I only have 200+ post in almost 4 years of being a member of the Apolyton community, yet in order to change this feature I must somehow post another 300 posts?

Please explain this concept to me, or if there is no rationale beyond not wanting to let a new user change their avatar, perhaps it could be changed to be based upon length of membership, or a combination of the two...earliest of two events.

Just a suggested improvement.

Sparrowhawk
    "Clearly I'm missing the thread some of where the NFL actually is." - Ben Kenobi on his NFL knowledge

Why should someone be able to get a custom avatar if they register but only return to use their login after a year or two?

If your not posting that often, does it matter that you don't have a custom avatar. Honestly, 500 posts is quite easy to get if you are even mildly interested in any of the games this site covers, or even games that Apolyton doesn't cover (other games forum).
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Time in should give the same priviledge as 500 posts on topic, IMHO.

There are many thoughtful people who post from time to time on topic, but who don't get to 500. Mostly they read. When they post, it is quality.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

If you're around long enough, it's fine. It's not like someone is going to be waiting around for 3 years with bated breath, anxiously counting down just so they can get their custom avatar at Apolyton.

Comment

Used to be that the rule was "1 year or 500 posts". So I got a custom avatar at first but was stuck with it after that rule was changed. I have no idea why it was changed in the first place.

Comment

I don't think one year is short enough. I don't think 500 is too many, either.
            "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Well, I guess a year isn't too short a time to weed out most of the newbies that won't stick around or contribute. Still, 500 posts is not much to get.

See Trip - he gets that many every day!
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Bah, that's only because I've either been very active and/or the founder of 3 Apolyton Demo Games.

A more casual poster who just talks strategy or other more general Civ 3 topics won't necessary rack up the posts at the same rate that I do. It's more of a lifestyle anyways, and takes much scheduling. The average poster just can't hold up under such pressure.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by ixnay
                    Used to be that the rule was "1 year or 500 posts". So I got a custom avatar at first but was stuck with it after that rule was changed. I have no idea why it was changed in the first place.
                    I think that was a good rule. Dan and Markos should bring it back.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Avatars and post counts

Originally posted by Sparrowhawk

I have seen much spam, mostly in off topic, but elsewhere as well, an many pcr's as a result, so I assume you do not what people deliberatly raising their post counts by spamming, yet you give incentives to new users to quickly get to 500 posts in this way.
                      Spamming the OT will achieve nothing, as posts there do not increase a user's post count.
                      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Actually for people who make 'quality' long posts in either the game forums, or the stories forums, it can take them ages to reach 500 posts. It's only us 'one-line-post' spammers and DemoGamers who can get there in a couple of months.

The one year rule sounds like it was sensible and fair. I can't imagine why it would have been discontinued.
                        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I think it was a hack and then it got lost in an upgrade. Probably too much effort to reinstate the hack - especially if Markos and Dasn plan on keeping the software uptodate.
                          (+1)

Comment

DG people...

None the less, I think the current rule of 500 posts is just good. If you want a custom avatar instantly, you can always go to CGN or Gamecatcher.
                            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I would agree that 1 year or maybe 2years should be added, to praise long-time members who don't post every time they open a thread .
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                              X