No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Solver
    I would agree that 1 year or maybe 2years should be added, to praise long-time members who don't post every time they open a thread .
    (+1)

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet
      Actually for people who make 'quality' long posts in either the game forums, or the stories forums, it can take them ages to reach 500 posts. It's only us 'one-line-post' spammers and DemoGamers who can get there in a couple of months.
      The worst people don't even post a line, they post single emoticon response. I'm not looking at Taz or Skanky in this thread, oooooh no.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Good.

A well placed smilie is worth a 1000 words anyway...
        (+1)

Comment

I agree.

I was told off by Gamecatcher admins for (only on one occasion) posting a single smilie repsonse. The thread was full of inane nonsense, so I posted an emoticon of a sheep skipping. I thought it was funnier than saying. "This thread is surreal".
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Certainly the time rule has merit, and if Mark/Dan didn't remove it for a reason perhaps it will make a return.

Maybe it's on the to-do list.

Comment

It should be allowed for anyone, post count number is anal.
              I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
              i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                Well, I guess a year isn't too short a time to weed out most of the newbies that won't stick around or contribute. Still, 500 posts is not much to get.
                While 500 doesn't sound like much, it could take many over a year if they only post once a day.

Often when I'm looking at threads, what I want to say has been said and rather than spamming a "me too," I might just not say anything. But if my only goal was to get that custom avatar, then a quote with a "" is all that's needed.

Sometimes I also feel guilty if I'm dominating a thread, i.e. showing up every 2 or 3 posts, so I might also refrain in that respect as well.

But in a way, the 500 PC avatar is good since it encourages posting, and the more who post, the move opinions you get. While I have seen some (names withheld to protect the guilty) try and post some 250 messages in 2 days in the forums that "count" just to get a custom avatar, I think the vast majority of posters here generally don't spam just for the sake of custom avatars.

And in a similar way, the same could be said for the Apolyton 100. But in this case, the encouragement is more likely to result in spamming with the number of posts needed....

BTW, would you rather see a verbose response like mine or a quick smiley post? And I'm not buying that picture is worth a 1000 words crap. Don't get me wrong, I think a well placed smiley or image can add a lot to a thread while giving the poster much desired feedback, but worth 1000 words? The only way I'd want to see 1000 words in a post is if you could prove the meaning of life. And even then...

(a well placed or after this post would be funny as well)
                badams

Comment

Originally posted by Chris 62
                  It should be allowed for anyone, post count number is anal.
                  On that note, I know some other sites that have it as low as 50. For some people, that's just a day's worth of work.
                  badams

Comment

Ah, so thats why I wasnt able to put up a custom avatar

I remember it was a rule about 500 posts or some period, so I tried and was pretty puzzled why nothing happened. I got no error message from the forum script either.

Since this was changed, it would be a good idea to put a response page to the upload page, so the user knows why he was rejected. I thought something was wrong with my Opera.

I should have known better, it is the best browser in the multiverse

Comment

Jaysus badams52, it is so freaky of you to use my avatar *shudder*

I thought I was seeing double for a second there

Btw., it would be cool feature to see how many people are using which generic avatar too.

Comment

I don't care about post counts or custom avatars. Since I got the ability to change my avatar to a custom one, I only did it twice. I know of people who have changed their avatars once a week...
                        I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by badams52

On that note, I know some other sites that have it as low as 50. For some people, that's just a day's worth of work.
                          Personally I would allow everyone to have a custom avatar.
                          (+1)

Comment

And when you own a site... you too can make your own rules

And Taz... I tried responding to your PM, but your mail box is full.
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I cleaned out my in-box.
                              (+1)

Comment

Thanks... Now I can send you that PM again
                                Last edited by Ming; March 30, 2003, 14:22.
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X