No announcement yet.

Column #219; By Rasbelin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any reasonable person that has played both games can only come to 1 conclusion:Civ3 is not Civ at all.

Better AI?..you must be joking right?
    Neither AI is good but the Civ3 AI is given many more advantages AND many more restrictions on the human player and it still stinks.I have never seen these "brilliant manuevers" by any Civ AIs..The only half decent attacks I have seen in any version is largely by luck or by a scenario design.Not actually planning,strategy and tactics.

Better diplomacy?..ya, until you actually start playing.They introduced a whole new level of tedium into a game that did not need any more.

I notice a poster complaining about boat unhappiness in Representative governments in 2.Others have whined about this also.I think its perfectly thought out.It makes Magnetism an important tech for representative governments instead of a Civ3 dead end.There are +s and -s to each government form.

Which leads perfectly to my main thought on Civ3:
    In 2,everything is done for a reason.It flows together in complex simplicity.In 3,it seems like a throw it together,last minute change type game.The tech tree is a joke.Wonders mean nothing.Exploration is gone.Espionage is effectively gone.Trade?..wtf is that?.Its like "Civ for Dummies"..no offense intended.Sometimes I think the same people planned Operation Iraqi Freedom.

I have tryed real hard to like this game(3).I have gone back to it from time to time.I've tryed patches,mods and what not.I just can't learn to like brussel sprouts
    Shouldn't this be on any other forum, or at least in any other thread?

Comment

Good column. Thoughtful. Easy read.

Quick comment to Rasbelin --
      With 4 "versatiles" in the first 5 sentences, you might consider investing in a Thesaurus.
      Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
      RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

A thesaurus? Now that would only corrupt my mind.

"Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Then you are doomed to uncorrupted repetition.
          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

"Surfing the web, reading messages on ACS Forums, retrieving your e-mail and playing CivII simultaneously is possible, while you can't do that with CivIII."

Alt-Tab? ;O)

Comment

IIRC Civ3 didn't support alt-tab.

Comment

I did it all the time DrSpike, maybe it was either in a patch, depended upon the operating system or you need a better computer
                badams

Comment

It worked for me also.

ACK!
                  Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by badams52
                    I did it all the time DrSpike, maybe it was either in a patch, depended upon the operating system or you need a better computer
                    Hmm I am sure I tried with no success..........though it was a while ago, perhaps it was another game.

Either of you 2 using win2k?

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                      "Surfing the web, reading messages on ACS Forums, retrieving your e-mail and playing CivII simultaneously is possible, while you can't do that with CivIII."
                      You can't do it that well and switching windows is slow then. Civ II is better for that.
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Working...
                      X