No announcement yet.

Column #218; By Rasbelin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My favorite memory of Transport tycoon was as a computer store demo addiction. I had a day off, and wandered into a comp store and they had transport tycoon running. A couple of kids playing it had to go to school, and I took it up. some 5 hours later, I was shocked at the time.

I had started by building railroads between places, but had no experience and I couldn't build across the AI tracks, which PO'd me, plus I didn't understand enough to put two trains on the same line safely. So I switched to trucks and Boy, did the money start rolling in! My most lucrative venture during those 5 hours was ferrying huge amount of wood from a forest to a paper mill.
    The game was so much fun, and so easy to get into without a manual or anything to tell me what to do, I lamented I could certainly never play it on my 8086...

When I saw it for cheap in 1998, I snapped it up to run on my 486/25, but never got that far into it, since I was too busy playing Civ by that time.

That really was fun
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

No comments yet about The Column itself...
      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

This thread was accidentally closed earlier this afternoon. I had intended to 'unstick' it now that the discussion here no longer applies to the most current installment of "The Column", but the wrong option was originally selected -- in other words, human error. Sorry about that! As you can see, it has been corrected.

Back to the discussion...

------------
        Dan; Apolyton CS
        PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
        >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
          It appeared to be well-written. My first attempt to read it failed when my mind wandered off, but I reread it later and it proved to be rather interesting despite the fact that I've never played Railroad Tycoon before.

Although I don't have the time to play it, I can't help but wonder if Railroad Tycoon is still available for sale and will run on Windoze XP....
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Well, my momma always told me if you have nothing nice to say...

Just kidding. Actually I think you're article is very interesting though I never played RR Tycoon. Reminds me of another game I saw being played where you are a corporation battling other corps in trying to sell your product. Don't know it's name though.

My first love with microprose was Apache Gunship (or was it just Gunship, I don't remember). I loved that game to death on my C-64.
            badams

Comment

Not much to say... Not really much other than some reminiscing. So I decided to reminisce along....
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Nice column. Sure, it is (mostly) about a game that Apolyton doesn't even cover, but at least it is a cool game.
                I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Working...
                X