No announcement yet.

Java chat trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People should be able to access the chatroom without installing obsolete software or having to install an irc client. By bumping this, Gühmmy is doing a service to all mankind.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
      Martin:

Well Markos could stop this by just giving us an answer. Even if I don't like his answer. And asking once a week didn't actual helped, either. Unfortunatly it is getting a little bit boring. Maybe a break of 3 days would be good. (Three days for Markos to reply )

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Skanky,

based on what "should" people be able to join the #apolyton IRC channel without a separate IRC client, rather than the channel would be like any channel and it could be accessed using a separate IRC client? Come on, most of those who use it have a separate IRC client. And if you can't be arsed to use a proper IRC client, then use the old chatroom system.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

That does work, so Markos should use that instead of the Java chat thing for now.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Okay nevermind, this thing doesn't connect to the regular chat room.
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I never claimed that either. I actually said "old chatroom system."
              "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

/me running tackles Rasbelin and puts him in a half Nelson.

Comment

/me pokes back DBTSverse.

Comment

People should be able to access the channel using a standard browser with a semi-modern java runtime environment - say what the vast majority of workplace computers and university computers are equipped with.
                    The very same places that installing your own software (whether it happens to be an irc client or an old version of the JRE) is not allowed.

The only other option is to get the chatroom software working with what the rest of us have.
                    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Gangs of bored 'Polytoners beating down Markos door

Comment

Just a pointer...

You can always ask the system administrator or technical contact person at your work or school to either install a new version of JRE or (thougher one, but worth a try) an IRC client. The JRE is a useful piece of software, so it's a very realistic one. If nothing else, refer to the fact a newer JRE by Sun has improved stability and security, which are nice buzz words.

People, you can also try to do something for the situation. Markos isn't the only one.

Comment

I told you. I got the newest release of Sun's JRE, 1.4.1. No, the chat room doesn't work.

Comment

That could just work, Rasbelin. The problem is the only JRE that works is the old one. You know, the one that has less security, more bugs...

The java chatroom doesn't work because the newer version of the JRE actually checks the file signatures properly, and as they aren't signed correctly it won't let the software run. The older version doesn't check properly or perhaps at all, allowing the software to run despite the security risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
                              People, you can also try to do something for the situation. Markos isn't the only one.
                              So who else last time I emaled DanQ about the not working CTP2 database add a file form he forwarded it to Markos as it was a techinical problem and Markos was responsible for it. Maybe I can try this again...

Well fact is still that we have here on Apolyton a pience of software that does not work as advertised and so far it looks that Markos ignores this thread. Not good, I think a site owner should be interested in a good working site or at least tell us that there is more important stuff than the java chat room.

-Martin

Comment

Wired post not registrated bug I postind in this thread and I don't fiind this thread at the top of the forum so let's try again.

Edit1: And that is already the second time I see it, today. Last time I used Netscape 4.78 to post it first try failed, second trial bumbed the thread to the top I think. But I wasn't brought back to the thread. I stayed on the post-a-reply-page. Also this time with the differnce I used Mozilla 1.3.

Edit2: Well I hit on the edit-page the Save Changes button and are still here even if the post was updated.

Edit3: Looks like I can repeat the editing as offen as I want, I am still on the edit-page.

-Martin

Edit3: PS Markos don't forget to answer the original question of this thread.
                                Last edited by Martin Gühmann; April 21, 2003, 13:52.

Comment

Working...
                                X