Blocking ads... Against the rules?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking ads... Against the rules?

I was just curious if there was some kind of rule against blocking ads here on 'Poly. I am using the default style, and don't mind the banners - hell, I even click them every so often to give 'Poly an extra cent or two - but I cannot stand the popups. Thus, I block them.

Now, I was engaging in a couple of discussions over on HeavenGames forums, and in one of my posts, I mentioned the fact that I block popups. I was immediately told by an Admin, that they don't appreciate that, and was presented with a quote from the user agreement, which specifically bound the users to avoid blocking the popups.

Now, I would like to be quite frank - I, like most of the people, I suspect, don't read user agreements, assuming that they just tell you common-sense stuff about not posting flames, trolls, etc.. 'Poly wasn't an exception. Then again, it's been a long time since I registered.

Sooo, since I couldn't find a user agreement here, I was wondering if we have some hideous rule like that?
    XBox Live: VovanSim
    xbox.com (login required)
    Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
    Spore page

while the admins don't like it, they can't really do much about it.

maybe if you use a pop up killer instead of blocker you could have the best of both worlds?

Comment

Well, it is technically speaking a popup killer. But it doesn't really do any good, since the popups need to remain open for several seconds to generate any income...
      Spore page

Comment

I don't think so, it is absolutely ridiculous to ask for such a thing.

Comment

Pop-ups? What's that?

I don't encounter with pop-ups in Mozilla and I intend to keep it that way, so a change in the user agreement wouldn't change it either.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I don't see how they could stop you, or even detect that you were blocking popups.

Regarding banners, I don't think Apolyton gets any money from them - even if you click on them - unless you then proceed to buy something from whatever site it takes you to. Popups on the other hand make money for Apolyton just by being allowed to exist for a while.
            IIRC.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

If I am not mistaken, that is only the case for Apolyton Store ads, and some others. But not all of the banners. From the FAQ:
              - RealMedia ads
              A recent(end of August 2002) addition. 468x60 ads shown on the top of all pages for visitors coming from the US. Run by 24/7 Real Media. Both the number of times they are shown(adviews) and the percentage of people who click on them(CTR-Click Through Ratio) matter to us.

So, unless that information is outdated, that should matter. I hope it does, any way, since I don't want to be a complete bastard and deny any revenue to 'Poly, yet at the same time I just hate popups.
              Spore page

Comment

You're right, Skanky. However the stuff adverted by the pop-ups are more like redundant for me; either it's so targeted for North American viewers or the adverted products/services are crappy or needless. Mortage and credit card consulting? Online gambling? "Free" prizes? Bollocks, I'm quite sure those can't be profitable, unless most of us are stupid enough and get hooked.
                "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Well... I don't use a pop-up blocker. My Super-Doopa-Funkified-Hypawonga-Aren'tIusingtoomanysuperlativesinthisexaggeration MoO3 style takes care of all pop-ups

Speaking of which... Markos, can you give specific details to the differences in styles?

Comment

we do not having anything in our user agreement against blocking ads

we do not do anything to stop people frm using popup blockers(even though we can)

i guess we're stupid....
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

can you give specific details to the differences in styles?
                      there will be some changes in the ads during this week(without any intent to increase the number of pop-ups served). the faq will be updated accordingly

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                        we do not having anything in our user agreement against blocking ads

we do not do anything to stop people frm using popup blockers(even though we can)

i guess we're stupid....
                        I think many posters will put up with the popups if they know that by doing so they are supporting the site........perhaps you should make that more widely known.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                          I think many posters will put up with the popups if they know that by doing so they are supporting the site........perhaps you should make that more widely known.
                          why else would we put up popups if not to support the site? cause we're evil?

Comment

Well the point is it might not be obvious to all that the site gets no money if the popup is blocked. I did not know for sure, and I did not know how long it had to open if you manually close them.

Comment

Originally posted by Frozzy
                              My Super-Doopa-Funkified-Hypawonga-Aren'tIusingtoomanysuperlativesinthisexaggeration
                              Thats the bit (in bold) that my eyes noticed first.

Originally posted by MarkG
                              Out of curiosity, what can you do?
                              For the record, I allow popups (from 'Poly anyway) as I want to support the site.
                              That, and I hate banners.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X