Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• average post length

hey there

i've noticed that a lot of threads in the apolyton/community forum have an average post-length of 1-2 lines, while the average civ3-strategy forum post length i several times as long.

is it just spamming? wanting to get that "emperor" or "deity" title?

is there any chance some administrator could run a batch which calculates the average post length of each user? a basic query is dead simple, but ideally everything between the {quote]-tags would be removed.

any chance of something like this, does this already exist or doesn't anybody care about it?
    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

I think the admins are quite aware of the fact that OT'ers occasionally wander off to here to increase their postcount. But that doesn't necessarily mean they only post nonsense.

Discussing the site's features and bugs isn't exactly the material to have lengthy and deep discussions about. Just answering "Yes" or "Mozilla", say, could be informative enough for MarkG to locate a bug or so.

And of course, poly/community is a topic anyone can have his say about, while for posting in the games forums you'd usually have to know something about a game first.

If anything, the demo game forums are probably a spawning ground for "spammers", but that doesn't necessarily make it all useless garbage.

Anyway, enough of the pseudo-philosophical ****... Measuring per-user, or per-forum and per-thread post length average would be nice to see.
    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

ok, i didn't mean the site features, etc.

i was more talking about those senceless threads which get closed (e.g. 2 from zylka: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=75359 (33 posts before thread closed), http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=75469 (31 posts before thread closed)) and everybody seems to have to post a comment in there.

i call it spamming...

but anyway, thanks for supporting my request for some stats

Comment

Well, those 2 threads by Zylka are quite clear spam and they don't have any real conversational value.

Conclusion...

The contents matter, not the length.
        "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

rasbelin,
          i'm not trying to say that 10line posts are better than 2line posts.
          neither am i asking for banning/punishing people with low avg. lengths.
          it's just a matter of interest

the "spamming" in those 2 threads (and a lot of others) just triggered the idea and gives me a good argument

Comment

I agree.
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

I dissagree.
              "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

This forum is as integral part of the site, and posts should count here as well as on-topic. It is natural for posts generally to be shorter in this forum I would say.......that should not be a measure of their quality or use to the community.

Comment

And this is the prime feeding ground for the spam sharks.

Will you make them homeless?
                  If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Nah they always have the chance to join a democracy game.

Tbh I post here a fair bit, and I wouldn't mind not counting the community posts, or the policing of the forum being stricter. But I don't really think it is that much of an issue. Sure Apolyton is a gaming site........but what links everyone together no matter what brand of civ they play is the community......so IMO the forum plays a useful role in the overall success of the site, no matter what the length of the posts here.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                      Sure Apolyton is a gaming site........but what links everyone together no matter what brand of civ they play is the community......so the forum plays a useful role in the overall success of the site
                      /me stands up, places his hand on his heart and sings the Apolyton National Anthem

Oh Canada, Oh Canada ....
                      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

No wonder you're a frustrated poet.

Comment

Re: average post length

Originally posted by sabrewolf
                          hey there

i've noticed that a lot of threads in the apolyton/community forum have an average post-length of 1-2 lines, while the average civ3-strategy forum post length i several times as long.
                          Think about it. It takes 6 words to ask "Why was my thread closed, *****?". Try explaining a Civ 3 strategy so concisely.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Pretty much any forum can be used for spam. Just go to the Civ III forum and start a thread like "Lol, this game sucks, lol." Or go to the MoO3 forum and start a thread like "Lol, this game is never going to be released, lol."

Just be sure to include the 'lol's. Otherwise it is inferior spam.
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Pretty much any forum can be used for spam. Just go to the Civ III forum and start a thread like "Lol, this game sucks, lol." Or go to the MoO3 forum and start a thread like "Lol, this game is never going to be released, lol."

A very nice method of getting a PCR, though.

Demogames, OTOH, are a nice way of getting several dozen extra posts per week while not having to put much thought in them .
                              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                              X