Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why was the 'Why was the Welsh Thread closed' thread closed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think there are enough people who can speak welsh to warrant the need for a welsh thread. In fact I don't think there is anyone here whose first language is welsh.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin

Themes and strategies for what?
      Oh, I don't speak a word of welsh, but I felt I should end my post with something welsh, so I just pulled it off some website not knowing what it meant.

But still, I think the grandfather excuse is rather flimsy. And I know Bods pushes things to the limit (and beyond) but he hadn't in that thread yet. Its innocent until proven guilty, right?

And whats wrong with non-English anyways? I can see that on the actual site, but on the forums? Who cares?! So that means, if you're a civ fan and speak Italian, and you know for a fact that there are other Italians on the board perfectly willing to speak to you, the fact that you can't speak English means you can't talk to them?

Seems silly, but I respect the wishes of Markos to do whatever he wants. I just don't see the point.

... Other than if your sponsers have an English-Only policy. Eh, Markos??

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn
        And whats wrong with non-English anyways? I can see that on the actual site, but on the forums? Who cares?! So that means, if you're a civ fan and speak Italian, and you know for a fact that there are other Italians on the board perfectly willing to speak to you, the fact that you can't speak English means you can't talk to them?
        The majority of the posters here speak English, either as a primary or secondary language.

If most of the people spoke Swahili, then we would only be able to post in Swahili.

The point is, speaking in another language is exclusionary, English is read and understood to all here, so that is the language of the forum.

If the mods can't speak another language, they can't mod it can they?

As far as the Finns go, nobody cares what the Finns think about them anyway.

ACK!
        Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Oh, I don't speak a word of welsh, but I felt I should end my post with something welsh, so I just pulled it off some website not knowing what it meant.
          Oh, and to tell them you don't speak Welsh, you are begging to be banned, or at least PCRed for trolling.

ACK!
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Oh, I don't speak a word of welsh,
            Neither do most welsh people.

Comment

Hey Jimmy, Just wondering, are you Dookie's DL
              -
              Oh and guy's you are neglecting the Spanish Civ Site- you can also speak spanish on Apolyton if you are so inclined!
              -
              But just wondering on the policy Mark- can we start language threads if we are discussing some topic in that language? Or are all language threads (except the finns due their remarkable voting bloc) outlawed?
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin
                I don't think there are enough people who can speak welsh to warrant the need for a welsh thread. In fact I don't think there is anyone here whose first language is welsh.
                That's part of the point, despite significant inroads Welsh is still an in danger language and therefore needs to be nurtured...

I understand the 'grandfather thread' theory and that is fine, however Markos closed the thread with what could be construed as an offensive and ignorant remark to Welsh people...

Just like the appalling treatment of the French on these threads that is also condoned (and sometimes encouraged) I think it is an insensitive double-standard which should be stopped...

Just like Ming's antics, it is not appreciated to be treated like children and admonished, when the mods themselves act like children...

What is ironic however is that Bods posted a Welsh language thread after posting that all languages other than English should be allowed to die out/be killed off...
                Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

We do need to bear in mind that by simply opening athreads Bodds has already given it a50% shove towards death...

If he weren't such a troll he might get more lattitute.
                  (+1)

Comment

however Markos closed the thread with what could be construed as an offensive and ignorant remark to Welsh people
                    do you understand the use of the smiley?

Just like the appalling treatment of the French on these threads that is also condoned
                    please post specific examples of such behaviour from the owners/mods
                    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS

That's part of the point, despite significant inroads Welsh is still an in danger language and therefore needs to be nurtured...
                      Why? It may seem callous but so what if its becomes a dead language? Who cries over the loss of the Manx language?

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS
                        Just like the appalling treatment of the French on these threads that is also condoned (and sometimes encouraged) I think it is an insensitive double-standard which should be stopped...
                        Interesting comment.
                        So, you think that France as a nation is abused, so let me ask you this:
                        Do you feel the same way about the insensitive double standard applied to both Israel and the United States, or does your moral indignation have limits based on what nations meet your basic criteria as being abuse worthy or not?

Not trolling you Moby, just pointing out that you never seem to have a problem being insensitive to an Israeli or an American.
                        I'm asking you directly if YOU maintain such a double standard, and if so, why do you question others on their alleged double standard?
                        Just looking for clarifacation here, and I also agree that allowing the Finn thread is patently unfair if other tougnes are barred.
                        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                        i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

US and Israel can retort the abuse

The difference is that the French are unable to defend themselves.

Comment

I would prefer that Moby answer, Saggy, I think the answer will be quite illuminating.
                            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Croeso i Gymru! Pobol Y Cwm! Plaid Cymru!
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Which means?
                                (+1)

Comment

Working...
                                X