Job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job

is this your job mark or do you have a other job. Or is this your source of income.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

I don't think Apolyton breaks even, let alone pays the bills. But I'll let Markos answer this one.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I would think Apolyton produces a substantial amount of income, given the number of popups... but that's a tired subject.
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

SidGames turned a profit, though it wasn't very big and it was while the economy was good.
        "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
        "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
        "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
        "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

That was back in the good ole days of internet advertising... when people actually believed banners were worth what they were paying for them... The industry learned a lot of lessons from those days
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

well, last i heard, markos and dan are both still in university, so i doubt they are depending much on the income of this site to keep food on the table

Comment

Originally posted by H Tower
              well, last i heard, markos and dan are both still in university, so i doubt they are depending much on the income of this site to keep food on the table
              As H Tower says above, both Markos and I are still university; to expand on that a bit, we are full-time undergraduate students with part-time jobs in addition to our schoolwork, Apolyton and other committments (volunteer, family etc.). Any and all Apolyton's income goes straight towards operating expenses: hosting costs, databases/forum upkeep, domain fees etc. Even when the online advertising market was "hot", as it were, Apolyton was never in a position to 'support' either Markos or myself on any kind of level but then again we were not expecting it to then nor are we now.

That said, we do not want you to assume the worst: let me make it clear that Apolyton is not in financial trouble. We are in the black monetarily speaking. It is thanks in large part to our loyal visitor base that has made this possible even during the prolonged downturn in the online (and other aspects of the) economy.

------------
              Dan; Apolyton CS
              PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
              >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

And thanks to the extraordinarily annoying popups, no doubt.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Don't be snide Glonky, if 'Poly folded you would only have CG to whinge on.
                  (+1)

Comment

And Beyond3D, and AnandTech, and Oasis, and some chat channels.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Poly is a labour of love.
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Popups are annoying, but ultimately we get a nice free service. The efforts of those responsible shouldn't go unnoticed......even if they do give you pcr's for some harmless spam.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                          ... when people actually believed banners were worth what they were paying for them... The industry learned a lot of lessons from those days
                          I wonder when commercial Television will learn its lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
                            I wonder when commercial Television will learn its lesson.
                            The industry has already learned that lesson. "Good" Television advertising is one of the most effective forms of advertising. Even BAD direct marketing commercials work... or you wouldn't be seeing them
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ

As H Tower says above, both Markos and I are still university; to expand on that a bit, we are full-time undergraduate students with part-time jobs in addition to our schoolwork, Apolyton and other committments (volunteer, family etc.). Any and all Apolyton's income goes straight towards operating expenses: hosting costs, databases/forum upkeep, domain fees etc. Even when the online advertising market was "hot", as it were, Apolyton was never in a position to 'support' either Markos or myself on any kind of level but then again we were not expecting it to then nor are we now.

That said, we do not want you to assume the worst: let me make it clear that Apolyton is not in financial trouble. We are in the black monetarily speaking. It is thanks in large part to our loyal visitor base that has made this possible even during the prolonged downturn in the online (and other aspects of the) economy.

------------
                              Dan; Apolyton CS
                              Well congratulations species - that is about the clearest explanation ever of the bottom line situation. Rumours of yachts and fast cars are untrue.

Now, in recognition of my unstinting loyalty, can I have some of my posts back
                              Last edited by Alexander's Horse; December 2, 2002, 03:39.
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X