Select YOUR OWN DATE/TIME FORMAT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Select YOUR OWN DATE/TIME FORMAT!

New options under "Date&Time Options" let you choose the date and time formats for the entire forum

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

I know a lot of people who will thank you for that.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

What's so special about 25th April 1998?

Comment

just a random date....
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Nice touch, MarkG

Thank you very many!
          I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

What's so special about 25th April 1998?

that's the day I turned 20!
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

thanks for this feature btw, markos!
              eventhoug I never noticed another but the european date-system was used, but that might be because I never paid attention to it.
              Formerly known as "CyberShy"
              Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Nice feature However...

Where's the YYYY-MM-DD format?! Comply to ISO standards!

Advantages of the ISO 8601 standard date notation compared to other commonly used variants:
                • easily readable and writeable by software no 'JAN', 'FEB', ... table necessary)
                • easily comparable and sortable with a trivial string comparison
                • language independent
                • can not be confused with other popular date notations
                • consistency with the common 24h time notation system, where the larger units (hours) are also written in front of the smaller ones (minutes and seconds)
                • strings containing a date followed by a time are also easily comparable and sortable (e.g. write "1995-02-04 22:45:00")
                • the notation is short and has constant length, which makes both keyboard data entry and table layout easier
                • identical to the Chinese date notation, so the largest cultural group (>25%) on this planet is already familiar with it :-)
                • date notations with the order "year, month, day" are in addition already widely used e.g. in Japan, Korea, Hungary, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, and a few other countries and people in the U.S. are already used to at least the "month, day" order
                • a 4-digit year representation avoids overflow problems after 2099-12-31
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Though I would like some date formats that use the 3-letter month abbreviation (Nov-25-02)

Comment

Thanks very much, Markos! Now I can finally show the time and date using the common Finnish style of typing it.
                    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                      Identical to the Chinese date notation, so the largest cultural group (>25%) on this planet is already familiar with it :-)
                      That should really read:

Not identical to the rest of the world date notation, so the large majority (>70%) on this planet are not familiar with it.

Comment

70% excluding Japan, Korea, Hungary, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, and a few other countries (not to mention people who live elsewhere but have been using that standard already, like yours truly). So it's closer to 50-60%

And you're forgetting about the 9.5 other advantages...
                        Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

While I much appreciate all the hard work... why? Has this actually been a common complaint?

I know when I first came here I wasn't used to it and confused by the DD-MM-YYYY at first but I grew accustomed to it, especially knowing that a lot of the world used it... (or so I thought).

So what is the standard, most widely used (by country... sorry Locutus) format? And is that offered? Because that's what I'd want to change mine to. I'm tired of being a closed-minded isolationist that doesn't know anything outside my own country (and Apolyton, actually, is what helped open my eyes to the rest of the world.)
                            I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Cool.

Is it possible to get the leading 0s trimmed in some of the time options? IE: 08:07 am would become 8:07 am?

It just looks kinda silly to me with the extra zero.

Great job though.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X