No announcement yet.

Apolyton ads make noise now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pop-ups should be illegal before the acceptance of a EULA for the webpage (software).

Comment

Venom,

I wouldn't recommend any pro-active measures. That'll only kill Poly.
      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

pop-up killers are baaaaad. they also kill the pop-ups I want. such as javescript windows. wish I could get a program that could tell the difference between a pop-up ad I didn't ask for and a javascript window I did.

-dana
        insert sig here.

Comment

then ultimately one could turn down/off their speakers.

I choose to listen to music while i'm browsing apolyton, and i CERTAINLY don't appreciate being interupted by a noisy ad.

It would be in YOUR best interests, if you want to keep my small portion of ad revenues coming in, if you'd get rid of a noisy ad.

Anyway, i havn't seen it again, so i'm NOT using an ad blocker, and if it DOES come back, i'll let you know which it is, so YOU can take care of it before I have to.

It's only appeared twice (two times in a row) and i havn't seen it again, so maybe it's been taken care of already, at a higher level.
          -connorkimbro
          "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

whenever pop up ads start showing up i stop visiting apolyton...

...for a while anyway
            I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

I hate ads with noise, never suffered from it here though.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by connorkimbro
                then ultimately one could turn down/off their speakers.

I choose to listen to music while i'm browsing apolyton, and i CERTAINLY don't appreciate being interupted by a noisy ad.

It would be in YOUR best interests, if you want to keep my small portion of ad revenues coming in, if you'd get rid of a noisy ad.

Anyway, i havn't seen it again, so i'm NOT using an ad blocker, and if it DOES come back, i'll let you know which it is, so YOU can take care of it before I have to.

It's only appeared twice (two times in a row) and i havn't seen it again, so maybe it's been taken care of already, at a higher level.
                The suggestion of mine you have quoted above is only in a circumstance where it has been shown that you have been presented with an ad on Apolyton that is generating audio, not as a general practice of browsing the site. Also, as alva848 mentioned earlier, do you have and have you tried running Ad-Adaware to see if this ad is running from another source? There are known online advertising practices that superimpose ads over other ads on sites.

I hear what you are saying, re: getting rid of the ad in said scenario; however, there is no guarantee that we would be able to do so in the event that one is put into our ad rotation and we subsequently lodge a request that it be removed. If this were to come about, as a site visitor your contacting the advertising agency with your displeasure in delivering the ad in question would also be helpful. However, if you chose to exercise this option in this circumstance, please do so civily.

In closing, has anyone else experienced what they believe may be an audio-generating ad on Apolyton? If so at anytime, please report it to as connorkimbro has done via the forums or email.

-----------------
                Dan; Apolyton CS
                PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

No noisy ads heard yet, although I have experienced them on other sites.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Nah, no audio enhanched ads so far on Poly for me.
                    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I am not keen on having audio sent to me for these adverts as well. I have precious little bandwidth being on a 56k modem, I don't need bloody sound files amongst the other crap being sent to me
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

You can turn off sound in browser under internet options can't you?
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yes you can.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                          X