New CHAT system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New CHAT system

part 2 of the thread to keep an updated list of features and easier posting of any problems

Features
    - Complete user integration with Apolyton user accounts database
    - No issue with user names with apostrophes
    - Common VBcode and Smilies with forum
    - Buttons to pop-up VBcode and Smilies insertion windows
    - Automated archive
    - Admins, moderators, "celebrities" and... lurkers indentification
    - Ban, unban and auto-unban from within chat features, unrelated to forum posting
    - /pm command opens PM window (example /pmMarkG)
    - New PM notification in messages area
    - /who command opens window with user profile (example /whoMarkG)
    - Apostrophes and quote marks show up fully
    - Full screen mode http://apolyton.net/forums/shoutbox.php
    - Civ3,civ2, smac, ctp1/2 rooms for general discussion on each game, MP matchmaking and Democracy Game turnchats
    - Subjects in rooms (they can be changed only by admins)
    - Chat archive fully working for all rooms http://apolyton.net/forums/shoutbox....ut=chat&room=0
    - Clickable user list for fast entry of a name in the message box
    - Subject is shown on the title of the window
    - Subject of main(Apolyton) room is shown in the forum pages and will notify of the next scheduled chat
    - moderated mode for rooms
    - /voice and /unvoice commands for rooms in moderated mode

Notes:
    - Quote and img VBcode is disabled
    - Message area of lurkers is refreshed once per minute instead of 20 seconds
    - Colors in messages and user list: red=admins and mods, blue=regular users, grey=inactive users
    - Each message is limited to 200 characters
    - Regular ban will be only from chat but if you abuse you can be banned from the forums as well

Known issues:
    - In-combatibility with Opera
    - Posting with cookies disabled is not possible
    Last edited by MarkG; October 2, 2002, 10:59.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Thank you for the update about the features, Markos! Much appriciated. So far the development has been positive compared to the first hours when the chatbox was flickering and many of these good features didn't exsist. Overall a great job, even if Opera doesn't work with chatroom, which is a pitty for Opera users, but so far the large majority of Apolytoners can, so I guess it's just a matter of time when Markos gets it fixed too.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Cool, cool...any idea on when the "Opera-issue" will be solved?

Comment

Cool.

Comment

Markos; can we have working smiles and coding in the live chat box at the top of each page; rather than ": zzz :" or "/ me"
            Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
            Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Markos it all is working fantastic. It is quite impressive.

Even the layout of the entire page is getting better with the addition of the gray on the right and bottom. Looks good. Keep up the good work and the improvements and it is well on the way to being a fantastic addition to the ACS landscape.
              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr
                Markos; can we have working smiles and coding in the live chat box at the top of each page; rather than ": zzz :" or "/ me"
                i'm not sure what you mean. both the smilies and the me command work fine as far as i can tell

Comment

added:

- new pm notification in messages area

Comment

He means the smiles don't work in the chat box at the top of the Forum pages that shows the last thing said in the chat.
                    Last edited by Level; September 24, 2002, 15:21.
                    Was gone for two years, I'm back now.
                    in a 3D world is there a difference between these: b d q p | / - \
                    3D Unit tutorial
                    My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter

Comment

i see...

change:

- chat archive is now sorted differently, giving you the ability to accurately link to a specific part of the archive

Comment

MarkG, I just gotta say you've done a terrific job in constructing this on the run over the past 5 or 6 days. Great work! I'm a huge fan.

I suggest Opera users have another browser available for when they decide to use the chatroom. It's not like this issue should surprise them...
                        Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                        RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Jrabbit, thanks for the kind words. how about doing the next civ2 demo turn chat in the civ2 room?

Comment

I'm all for it and will advance the idea on the forum.

Please note: We have not used turnchats before. This was suggested previously and rejected as impractical. (Of course, the previous Chat function was unstable at best.)
                            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

You should change [Fermer cette fenêtre]
                              to [Colse Window] in the smilie list.
                              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
                              X