No announcement yet.

Removal request of several flags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is what Dan posted when he closed the flag thread that was going before this one...

Rasbelin:

Thank you for your proposed suggestions for new flags to be added to Apolyton's listing. After a careful review of your suggestions, and your references, we have decided not to accept any of your recommendations at this time.

First, the states of the Russian Federation: as you said, they are autonomous which is half-way between independence and full-blown inclusion in Russia -- not country status. Second, the tribes of the Finno-Ugric languages are not recognized nations. As for Somalia, which you cite, it is a country.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
      If I use the falg as my avatar picture, I can't use my real avatar.
      You can have them both pretty easily. Just edit your avatar, paste in the shrunken flag you want in the corner, and bam, you've got your custom flag and your avatar. (The upper right hand portion of your avatar is pretty empty anyway, it's not like you've gotta cover up that handsome mug to fit a flag in.)
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

it's a little bit like "If I can't have my flag, they can't have theirs"

let me see, who was it who said that last to me........
        oh yeah, it was my baby brother
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Chris 62

Hey Ras, your giant title distorts the thread BTW.
          I know what, but it wasn't me who set it. And mine isn't the longest one. I'm trying to come up with a shorter one that Markos can accept.
          "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger

Just edit your avatar, paste in the shrunken flag you want in the corner, and bam, you've got your custom flag and your avatar. (The upper right hand portion of your avatar is pretty empty anyway, it's not like you've gotta cover up that handsome mug to fit a flag in.)
            I know that, but that wasn't the actual issue.
            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies

Wow. rasbelin, i think you've taken political correctness way way WAY too far. Tiny little flags on a website are now an equality issue....that worries me.
              I don't take it as a political issue, but why on Earth should we have the Sami flag if the rest aren't accepted? That's a dumb double standard.

Comment

I know that, but that wasn't the actual issue.
                Well, maybe not, but the actual issue has already spawned several closed/deleted threads and at least one banning. I'm just saying that maybe it's time to cut your losses, because (double standard or not) this just doesn't matter.
                <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

edit: double post
                  Last edited by Gangerolf; September 19, 2002, 13:29.
                  CSPA

Comment

Rasbelin:

The flag enjoys semi-official status in Norway, and is flown by the 'Sameting' - the (mainly consultative) assembly elected by the Sami people.

Det samiske flagget er godkjent til bruk for offentlige bygninger og eiendommer eller bygninger og eiendommer som for den vesentligste del benyttes av offentlige myndigheter.
                    http://www.samediggi.no/default.asp?...ID=230&lang=no

It is indeed an (semi-) official flag
                    CSPA

Comment

Abo flag

The Australian Government has announced it will give formal, legal recognition to the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander flags as a "Flag of Australia" from 14 July 1995. This recognition will be proclaimed by Governor-General Bill Hayden under S.5 of the Flags Act 1953. This means that Australia will now have five national flags given legal authority under the Flags Act:

Seems to me it's more than just a tribal flag.
                      CSPA

Comment

We should have the Yorkshire flag!

Comment

What about US Virgin islands, they are part of the US arn't they?

So what if your flags were not accepted, It does not mean you have to get rid of all the others.
                          Was gone for two years, I'm back now.
                          in a 3D world is there a difference between these: b d q p | / - \
                          3D Unit tutorial
                          My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter

Comment

I didn't say getting rid of all the others, but of those 3 mentioned. And the arguements that the Sami flag would be official is much more wague than my arguements for the flags of autonomous Russian republics.

So the Sami flag doesn't belong here if the other flags that have exactly the same status (Livonia, Veps, etc.) aren't accepted.

Comment

So the Sami flag doesn't belong here if the other flags that have exactly the same status (Livonia, Veps, etc.) aren't accepted.
                              Again... There is only one rule.

"The Owner's Make the Rules"...

There doesn't have to be any reasoning behind it. Heck, they could decide that they didn't want an American Flag... and there would be nothing I could do about it. Their site... Their rules... How much simpler can you get than that

So here is a suggestion... go make your own site, and then you too can make the rules... until then...

Give it a rest
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X