Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEWS: "MicroPROSE Is No More"

From our news centre:

One of the longest-running development houses in the PC gaming era, and one which is indeed close to the hearts of Civilization fans, closed today. MicroPROSE`s (MPS) 20-year lifespan has ended, the result of a decision of its France-based owner, Infogrames (IG). IG bought the company and its parent Hasbro Interactive from Hasbro in December of 2000 and the deal was finalized the following month.

The story of MPS` demise was brokered today by Gamer.tv and picked up by The Wargamer (WG). Since being purchased by Hasbro Interactive, MPS` involvement in the PC market declined and several offices -- save the one in Hunt Valley, Maryland where much work on the first two Civilization titles were completed -- were subsequently closed. According to Gamer.tv, who learned of the closure from a source within IG, all employees at the one remaining studio have accepted redundancy terms and left. Neither Gamer.tv or WG have yet been able to reach either IG or MPS to confirm the details of the closure.

MicroPROSE was owned by Spectrum Holobyte when it released Civilization, expansion pack CivNet, and Civilization II and its expansions Conflicts in Civilization Scenario Collection, Fantasic Worlds and Multiplayer Gold Edition. Test of Time, the fourth and final add-on for CivII, hit store shelves under the Hasbro Interactive label, only months after becoming apart of its network. A year-and-a-half before being sold to Infogrames, Hasbro acquired MPS from Spectrum.

Other popular titles MPS spawned during its two illustrious decades were the X-COM, Worms and Master of Orion series, and Falcon 4.0.
    -------------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    Last edited by DanQ; September 19, 2002, 19:01.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

so yeah, i officially hate Hasbro, and Infogrames.

wait, didn't i say that before? well, to banish all doubt.

i hate Hasbro, and i hate Infogrames.
    Last edited by Q Classic; September 12, 2002, 22:43.
    B♭3

Comment

....Infogrames is just proving itself in my mind again.
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Typical...
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

To be fair, Microprose wasn't the company it used to be, they haven't released anything innovative like Civilization, Railroad Tycoon or X-com in years, so I can understand Infogrames decision. But I regret the demise of this company never the less...
          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

They practically created the TBS market, and now they are gone.....figures.
            Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

That's really sad - MPS was my favorite games developer for many happy years.
              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
              - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

That really is too bad.

Comment

In Memoriam MicroPROSE.

Made Civilization, Civilization II, Civilization II Ultimate Classic Collection, CivNet, Railroad Tycoon, Railroad Tycoon Deluxe, Transport Tycoon, Transport Tycoon Deluxe and many other great games that I haven't played.

Well, it's true that they haven't done anything decent for years now. IMO they fell back after Sid and several others left the company. But it's still the end of one of the great players in the PC game sector. At least 10 years ago they almost owned the field with a few other competitors.

Luckily I have now FiRAHxis and PopTop Software.
                  "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

An era comes to an end ...
                    "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

--"the result of a decision of its France-based owner, Infogrames (IG)."

Bah...French companies, bah!

Comment

It's a sad day. I remember most of my favorite games in the past (okay, I do still play them) started with the Mircoprose screen. It's so sad to know that you never will see it in a new game
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Civilization Scenario Collection
                          what? Microprose had nothing to do with that. Allard and I had

Comment

Yes, it's really really sad. I grew up with Microprose and Civ was my first contact with strategy games. I was fascinated from the first moment I played the game. And don't forget Colonization. People tend to remember the Civ-series but almost all time forget Col. Actually it's a classic too, still on my HD and always will be. For some time I played it day and night and occasionally today.
                            Dance to Trance

Proud and official translator of Yaroslavs Civilization-Diplomacy utility.

Comment

'Tis a sad day.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X