Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does the autocensor only censor silly words out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does the autocensor only censor silly words out?

"Jesus H. Christ"
    "Goddamned"

the auto sencor has no problems if you post stuff like that. But when you post sh-t, f-ck, d-ck and whatever 'silly' words, the autocensor comes up.

Why does the autocensor not filter out the real swear words? I know, it must have anything to do with the pathatic american way to censor. (goddamned is ok while sh-t is not) but can you guys please raise the censor to a global level?

(or disable it at all)

it really makes no sence. it's like telling people not to kill people with knifes, but it's ok if you kill them with a gun.

thought I should complain about that.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

i'm an ignorant greek. when i was learning english as a kid we didnt get to study all the swear words and their proper user. please tell me why "Jesus H. Christ" is a swear word(or rather, phrase)

it would also be interesting to learn why "Goddamned" is worse than "mother****er"
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

btw, do you want us to censor "damn" and have people say "darn" instead?

Comment

It's a swear word because you misuse the name "Jesus" who is a very important person to much people. And you misuse the term "God" who's very important to even more people.

It's like I would say "Damn Markos" every time I feel less happy.

I would indeed say that mother****er is no go as well indeed. I agree that f-ck and loads of those would should be censored, but I think it's lower priority than others.

I would not care about damn.
        Neither would I about sh-t, but that's pherhaps because it's very accepted overhere in The Netherlands.

anyway, I think the situation is weird. It's very american btw.

CS

Comment

Cyber, why are you advocating more censorship?!?
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

"misuse"?
            cybershy i think you are describing blasphemy, not swearing

Comment

misuse = inappropiate use.
              blasphemy as well indeed.

I know that in the american culture blasphemy is not that bad, but in much countries it is.

Skanky, as a christian I think it's fine to talk about God and about Jesus, but please not in this way.
              And I don't care about censorship. Why not more?

(exception: d-ck, it's a name. it's a name of one of my best friends )

Comment

Cheney?

so do you want us to censor all possible phrases that could be blasphemous to all major religions?

Comment

To auto-censor blasphemy properly, you would need context-recognition software. And of course, we all know how accurate they are.

Personally, I would prefer no censoring whatsoever.
                  People can and do get around it anyway, and the mods can decide what is acceptable and what crosses the line.

As an added bonus, news reports about the American government could actually be read without **** covering people's names.
                  I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

so do you want us to censor all possible phrases that could be blasphemous to all major religions?

ok, it would be hard to censor Jesus, since we use it the proper way as well. I would say, just censor "goddamned" would do it.

Comment

I have no problem with how the system works now! I cannot believe it that CyberShy, a Dutch, is advocating more censorship. I truly believed that the Dutch are more liberal than one might think!

And I really don't see how damned or Jesus are in any way blasphemy or obscene!

So long...
                      Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                      Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                      Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

Generally I can not see words such as damn swearing .
                        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Just remove shag, dick, and dyke out of the censor.

Comment

I have no problem with how the system works now! I cannot believe it that CyberShy, a Dutch, is advocating more censorship. I truly believed that the Dutch are more liberal than one might think!

believe me, I'm not using dope, neither did my wife have any abortion, and I'm not visiting hookers any weekend as well. Besides that I'm not participating in the gay-parade, do I run a coffeeshop neither did I commit euthenasie so far.

I didn't vote for Pim Fortuyn, and........ uhm, what else are we famous for?

anyway, there are more dutch than the prototype.

Comment

How many times must we be reminded that we all use this site at the pleasure and convenience of its very generous owners? Considering the number of young pups hanging out here, I would have to say that the "censorship" on this site is minimal and appropriate.

The autocensor does nothing to prevent one from getting one's ideas onto the fora, and those who can't fathom a way around these few simple rules are frankly not worth the time and trouble of an argument on the point.

BTW -- "shag" is censored??

BTW2 -- If that's all it takes to visually post the words in question, then I REALLY don't know what all the fuss is...
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X