Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

aaglo,

that reminds me about this:

"Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

What is he saying? I'm curious. Something about Mingapulco is all I can understand.
      Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

-Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by The Pioneer
        There seems to have been a slight problem with the database. Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
        I get this one all the time for the past few days, really annoying... (no I can't live without poly for 15 minutes )

What is amusing, though, is that the 'Technical Staff' is a link in the message, so you would suspect that it gives you an e-mail address. Instead it is just a "mailto:", so my e-mail client will open, with no address filled in... I guess Markos received a few too many messages from us

DeepO

Comment

that field is empty not to avoid mails from people, but to avoid the automatic mails.
          a few minutes of the sql server being offline multiplied with a 100-200 people hiting reload can easily mean hundreds of mails....
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Aha... it's workaround time! (Just deleting the link, or changing the message wouldn't be possible, presumably?) But, can't you set this address to whoever is responsible for the SQL server? (S)he might be tempted to do something about the problem... it really is happening a lot lately

DeepO

Comment

i'm responsible for the sql server
              we have a dedicated server, therefore no tech support(except from network/connectivity stuff and when a hard-reboot is needed)

Comment

and without tech support, you can't find the problem? Or is it just that Apolyton is growing too big too fast in order to keep up?

DeepO

Comment

it's just that sometimes some sql calls get "stuck" and feel up the memory and the only way to get back to normal is by hand(killing the specific process or restarting the sql server)

Comment

In that case you have done a lot of process killing lately, I must have been locked out over 10 times in the past 2 days.

If it is unix or linux you're running, it should be able to set a trigger on a process, which will signal a kill once a certain amount of memory is taken. I don't know how to do it, but heard another (my)sql server geek explain it to me once... but as I'm a relatively n00bie on linux, I wasn't really paying attention. You know these server geeks can get carried away once they're talking about their 'baby'

DeepO

Comment

Originally posted by Pavlov
                      What is he saying? I'm curious. Something about Mingapulco is all I can understand.
                      Samma på svenska...

Herrarna har nu överskridit mitt tålamod! Packa era prylar; Mingapulco väntar er.

And in English...

You gentlemen have now wrecked too much my nerves! Pack your belongings; Mingapulco awaits you.

Abit like that, but as I'm more than , I can't come up with any better translations either.
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Cheaper to buy another server than to use Oracle
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Apolyton runs Red Hat Linux, which is really not the best server OS that I know of (FreeBSD! FreeBSD!)...

UR: Good point .
                          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Arrgghhh... red caps! Why not Debian or something less commercial? BTW I assume they don't use the NSA Linux kernel. Yes, it's public.

Comment

Maybe he should try SQL Server.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Rasbelin
                                Arrgghhh... red caps! Why not Debian or something less commercial? BTW I assume they don't use the NSA Linux kernel. Yes, it's public.
                                Why is being commercial bad? Listen, it's open source, it's freely downloadable, and it still gives people jobs - not only for the development of Redhat's own programs, but of programs that are used all over the open-source community. Plus, although (as I already said) they're not the optimal distro for experienced sysadmins, they've (along the other commercial distros) done a great job of introducing Linux to scores of new users. The existence of commercial distros benefits everyone - the users get a simple, cheap OS, the makers of commercial distros get money (and since they didn't need to develop much to begin with, they win) and the Linux community of experienced users gets patches. Everybody wins.

This post brought to you by LightEning's mind, missing the points of posts completely ever since I got on Apolyton and advocating open-source ever since I got Debian.
                                This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Working...
                                X