Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can we sponsor Apolyton without buying something from the store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyberShy
    I think it will give the mods ethical problems like "Can I ban someone who donated $25 to apolyton" and all that.
    I think they've already shown that the answer to that is "yes".

tniem's idea seems workable.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

yes, good idea, tniem. It could be something like: Apolyton Gold, Ultimate Apolyton or something. Basically you pay a little to get a little extra.
      Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

-Homer Simpson

Comment

I think they've already shown that the answer to that is "yes"
        you know, in our sales reports on the store, it doesnt say "skanky burns" anywhere in the name column
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG: you know, in our sales reports on the store, it doesnt say "skanky burns" anywhere in the name column
          Pure hypothetical,
          say I would do something pretty naughty, you know, something really pathatic, something that's truly disturbing and really makes you wanna puke, let's say I put some html in the flag field or something as cruel as that.

Say, you would be that cruel to give a 10 day ban for that, which would of course be very hypothetical since you won't be that stupid, but let's say you would do that because you had a bad day or something.

Ok, now we have that situation,
          now let's say I would tell you that I would buy for €250 kitten-shirts, if you would unban me.

Would you do it?

And if you would not,
          then how much will do?
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Marky, the sales report on the store is broken. Fix it.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Pavlov
              yes, good idea, tniem. It could be something like: Apolyton Gold, Ultimate Apolyton or something. Basically you pay a little to get a little extra.
              I am not talking about getting something extra, just the removal of ads. That way Apolyton is still getting money for the ads that we no longer have to look at. It would be a win-win situation for us, no more popups and Apolyton is supported. It will actually probably generate more income because IIRC they don't get that much from the popups and so my $5 for 10000 page views will be a lot more cash than the popups I would have been generating would pay.

But I think Markos and Dan's big thing has been they do not want to force people to pay to get something. They do not want to make it the haves and the havenots because some of us have more disposable income than others. This would take care of the problem. You could pay to remove the ads giving a benefit to yourself and helping Apolyton and no one but you and Markos and Dan would know. And it would lead to no second class citizens which is what I think they are trying to avoid.
              About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Originally posted by tniem

I am not talking about getting something extra, just the removal of ads. That way Apolyton is still getting money for the ads that we no longer have to look at. It would be a win-win situation for us, no more popups and Apolyton is supported. It will actually probably generate more income because IIRC they don't get that much from the popups and so my $5 for 10000 page views will be a lot more cash than the popups I would have been generating would pay.
                Isn't not having to look at ads something extra? Seriously, that's all I meant. *hides plans for Apolyton Platinum-forums*
                Yeah, Moe, that team sure did suck last night. They just plain sucked! I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked.

-Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by tniem
                  But I think Markos and Dan's big thing has been they do not want to force people to pay to get something. They do not want to make it the haves and the havenots because some of us have more disposable income than others. This would take care of the problem. You could pay to remove the ads giving a benefit to yourself and helping Apolyton and no one but you and Markos and Dan would know. And it would lead to no second class citizens which is what I think they are trying to avoid.
                  I would certainly object turning Apolyton into a haves/havenots community, but my initial idea was different. I was just asking for an anonymous way of donating money for the good cause, without any reward, any mentioning on any list, and any extra benefit. The removal of adds could be an good idea in that direction, but even that is not needed, an open Paypal account would suffice. I do not feel obliged to pay for the site others are getting for free, but as a sign of gratitude for the offered service, I might spend some money on it (Again, don't expect miracles ).

And to quote Rah:
                  Originally posted by rah
                  And I really do think quite a few people here would do it. (not counting the poor students who are better served spending their spare change on beer and women)
                  I have to say, in Belgium students spend their money on beer, only the very desperate cases spend money on women. But other then that (minor) cultural difference I fully agree

DeepO

Comment

(not counting the poor students who are better served spending their spare change on beer and women)
                    Or internet connections
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
                    X