Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can we sponsor Apolyton without buying something from the store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can we sponsor Apolyton without buying something from the store?

This may be very well known information, but just not to me... I was wondering if there are other possibilities to support Apolyton then the store. I'd don't like to buy merchandise -- even if I think many of the Apolyton things are cool -- and never do it for any 'good cause'.

So, two questions:
    1. How does the banner adds work? Does Apolyton receives money whenever we see them, and is it a pure pageview thing? Or, is it a 'click the banner' thing, and would Apolyton gain something if I was to click one banner once each day that I visit? Or do we actually have to buy something on Amazon, Chips&Bits, etc ?

2. Is there some Paypal or other account were we can send money to, as much as we want (Don't expect miracles ), and totally free? E.g. I feel like donating $5 right now, but I don't want to spend $30 on the store so that Apolyton receives those $5.

I've briefly looked around the web site, but couldn't find any information on this...

DeepO

"donate money to apolyton?"

Does apolyton pay taxes?

I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

erhh... I don't understand. They surely will have bills running the site, internet access is not free. I don't care if they pay taxes or not, I was not hoping to give money to some government, mine is already asking too much.

DeepO

Comment

I wouldn't worry.
        (+1)

Comment

They will suck your wallet through the cable... beware.

I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo
            They will suck your wallet through the cable... beware.

Why did you think I was asking for some independent service, like Paypal (unless, of course, Paypal is already Apolytonized as well)

DeepO

Comment

IIRC the banners only give money if you click AND buy something.
              The popups give money just for being seen, so if you want to "donate" anything, switch to the ultra-special view and let Apolyton opened for at least 12 hours everyday, since only one popup window appear every 6 hours.
              "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
              Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
              Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
              Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

Maybe the store could sell certificates of sponsership. (or any vague named item) where no product is shipped and (except for a small processing fee) the balance could go straight to Apolyton. There could probably be thread in the Community forum that lists people that have purchased them. (not mentioning the amount of course) I would have done that. But bought a shirt instead. I doubt the site made much of a profit on the shirt. But, it was the only available way to support the site, without volunteering time that is.

Rich
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rah and Zealot, thanks for the replies, but don't you agree that it would be quite easy to set up a Paypal account for those loose money tranfers? I've seen it happen at www.b3ta.com when they didn't receive enough income from banners anymore to keep the site online. They gathered some $4000 IIRC...

DeepO

Comment

Yes, it probably wouldn't be hard. And I really do think quite a few people here would do it. (not counting the poor students who are better served spending their spare change on beer and women)

Rich
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I spent $45.00 au on the frosted mug to support Apolyton. I was banned the next day.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                        I spent $45.00 au on the frosted mug to support Apolyton. I was banned the next day.
                        May be there should be a new "sign of sponsorship", like a little medal, worn below the country flag, to prevent the mods from banning/PCRing the "wrong" people?

Comment

Well, the order was still being processed, so I wasn't on the "safety" list yet when I decided to... complain about someone else being banned...

If only I waited an extra day.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Of course I could use the HTML-loophole to put "I bought a t-shirt from the store and still got banned for 10 days" in the flag-field
                            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Of course, by doing that you would have to edit it to read 20 days...

/me shakes head at silly mod.

Comment

Working...
                              X