This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• remove thread locking by thread originators

I don't think that thread originators should be able to have their threads locked. The originator doesn't own the thread.

Nahhh... It's been done that way for a long time, and I see no reason to change it. Many times, the thread takes a turn that the originator doesn't like... their option as far as I'm concerned.
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I didn't even know it was possible.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Neither did I - how is it done?
        Up the Irons!
        Rogue CivIII FAQ!
        Odysseus and the March of Time
        I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Just PM a mod and ask for it to be closed... or deleted.

99.9999% of the time, I will do as the originator of the thread asks.

And no... regular posters can't lock threads
          Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
            Many times, the thread takes a turn that the originator doesn't like... their option as far as I'm concerned.
            That's kind of weenyish. Let's people start threads and than cry and take their ball home when ever they don't like the response. Much better to let the community speak. The originator doesn't "own" the thread. Other people who talk in the thread have a stake also.

Comment

Oh, OK, I knew that... And I think it's a good thing.
              Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by GP
                That's kind of weenyish. Let's people start threads and than cry and take their ball home when ever they don't like the response. Much better to let the community speak. The originator doesn't "own" the thread. Other people who talk in the thread have a stake also.
                It usually has more to do with threadjacking... massive spamming... or personal insults.

And in my opinion... while the originator doesn't "own" the thread... the fact that they started it does give them the right to ask for it to be closed or deleted.
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

You can always start up a copy thread if it is that interesting.
                  One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Not a perfect solution, you often lose content and interest if forced to start another thread.

I agree that often spamming or threadjack is the problem. But it also happens with people unhappy with how an arguemtn turns out.

If it is spamming the mod should close the thread regardless, not dependant on originator wishes. Sometimes its not threadjacking but just the simple way a conversation turns. You wouldn't shut down a conversation in a room becuase the one who started it didn't like where it went.

Why not let the thread continue. Locking it does no good. Originator has to start a new thread in either case (if old one is left open or not.) Leaving it open at least leaves a safety valve.

Comment

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Because I will continue honoring the requests in most cases... just like I have done in the past
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

Cool, Ming.

It was just some little thing that was nagging me and I finally realized it, so I posted it. I have no problem with policies at Poly being different from what I recommend.

Comment

You can go ahead and close this thread.

Comment

For some "strange" reason... I was tempted to "not" honor your request

But nahhhhhhhhhh.... case closed
                            Keep on Civin'

Comment

Working...
                            X