Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
    No, people just feel like chatting so enter the chatroom. They sit in there, hoping someone else will enter
    Somehow that just reeks of desperation.

I guess I'm spoiled by ICQ. I can see who is available, and who I want to talk to. (as I get older, that list get's shorter ) Waiting for some random person to come chat seems a bit spooky. (yes my age is showing again)

Then If they're paying attention I can just use ICQ-phone and actually talk to the person. It's great to use during CivII MP games with another player in the game.
    I've been known to icaphone chat with another player for over 6 hours, (if the game takes that long) It helps pass the time inbetween turns.

But the big thing is if someone is looking for me, I'll be notified and I can decide if I want to answer.

RAH

IW, that at least makes sense.
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ah, but rah, surely logging on to ICQ even when nobody else is online is somewhat the same thing?
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

It should be persons, not people. See Strunk & White.

Comment

Rah, you just don't get it do you. If the person who comes in is worth chatting to, than you do. If not, not. Similarly if the topic interests you chat, otherwise not. It takes a few seconds to scan the conversation to see if it is interesting. There's no downside to having another browser window open, while you surf.

Comment

It uses a bit of memory
            But true enough, theres no real downside.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
              Ah, but rah, surely logging on to ICQ even when nobody else is online is somewhat the same thing?
              Not really. My ICQ list is customized with just the people I'd want to chat with. Personally there are a heck of a lot of people in the OT that are a little scary. Stewies in the CHAT ROOM, Oh boy
              And In ICQ (or other chat software) I have the option to be invisible, listed as away, or NA.

I have never and will never seek out truely random chats.

And Finally GP, If there a few people in the chat room that you don't want to chat with and a few you do, your options are limited.

And I guess that sums up the differences. There are much better chat software packages that offer more control then the one here.

I'm sure quite a few people agree with me on this one based on the low number of people I usually see in the chat room. Considering just how many people post here, It's really a very low percentage that have used it.

RAH
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well Rich, somebody has to be first in, so I think that's why you see just one guy in there.

I agree with the other stuff, on ICQ and other IMS I'm never "there", simply because I'm either busy or really don't feel like talking to everybody.

I personally don't see the point of chat on a message board, but hey, if people dig it, who am I to object?
                I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Originally posted by Chris 62
                  I personally don't see the point of chat on a message board, but hey, if people dig it, who am I to object?
                  That sums it up perfectly.
                  Thank you, I am not alone.

RAH
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Rah, you must be on at the wrong times, I usually see either 0 or 2 or more people in the room... I hardly ever see one?

and I agree with Chris
                    Iàve only used chat once
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Horses chat room works much better
                      The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

That's cause he's a one horse conversation.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                        X