Am I missing something?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I missing something?

Every now and then the chat room participants catch my eye. But most of the time there's only one person in the chat room. Who is he chatting with? Am I missing something?

If you choose the invisible option in your preferences, does it not list you when you're in the chat room?

I can see going there while waiting for someone else to show up, but that doesn't seem to account for all the times I've only seen one person in there.

What am I missing?

RAH
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

yes.

You are missing the ability to open multiple windows of your browser. Thus, one can go into the chat room and wait while surifing the rest of the net. You have to check back ocassionaly of course. If the system had a bell/buzzer like IRC, you wouldn't even need to check back. You'd be notified when someone joined the chat.

It's amazing to me how amny people don't undedrstand this. (You can tell they don't understand this when they show up in the chat room, say hello (expecting an instant reply) and then get frustrated and leave, rather than opening an extra window, and checking back.)

Comment

Then what's the point of going there, since you seem to have reduced it to a glorified PM. It's supposed to be real time, and if you're experience isn't, why go there WAITING. You're right, even after you tell me, I don't understand.

RAH
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Replies can take a long time in the chat room- and almost inevitably someone at work will leave the chat on hidden under other windows, go to lunch, then return... since many people donàt turn off work computers.

thus even if someone is listed as being in the cahtroom, heàs not really ,there,.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

It's not too hard.

People go there waiting for someone else to come chat, they surf around Poly and they notice at the top of the page when someone else enters so they go back to the chat window and chat...

If nobody went in there while it's empty no one would chat at all.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Well, rah, thats what it is, it IS a PM... it is merely a realtime PM... that can be done between multiple people.
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Originally posted by rah
              Then what's the point of going there, since you seem to have reduced it to a glorified PM. It's supposed to be real time, and if you're experience isn't, why go there WAITING. You're right, even after you tell me, I don't understand.

RAH
              The way I described is how chats work out, Rah. If you expect to magically have someone else walk in right when you do, you will be out of luck. If you enter the chat and just check back every few minutes (as you surf Poly or whatever for an hour or so) than you will often be able to work out a decent conversation.

Is this really such a tough concept to work out?

Comment

The only thing that bugs me about loners in the chat room is the thing on the top of the page saying:
                | Chat (1 people) |
                aaargh!! 1 person!
                Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

How do you know what constitutes english in greece

If you send markos 20 emails a day for a month he may fix it eventually
                  -->Visit CGN!

Comment

(+1)

Comment

Re: Am I missing something?

Originally posted by rah
                      Every now and then the chat room participants catch my eye. But most of the time there's only one person in the chat room. Who is he chatting with? Am I missing something?

If you choose the invisible option in your preferences, does it not list you when you're in the chat room?

I can see going there while waiting for someone else to show up, but that doesn't seem to account for all the times I've only seen one person in there.

What am I missing?

RAH
                      hi ,

Rah , sometimes your sreen say one person in , because you have just visited the chat , its like the line to the chatroom stay's open , ....
                      however when you check this from an other comp you have left , ...
                      and sometimes you are gone , and yet an other person still "sees" you , ......

Solver has a thread on it ; ID52519

have a nice day
                      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                        The only thing that bugs me about loners in the chat room is the thing on the top of the page saying:
                        | Chat (1 people) |
                        aaargh!! 1 person!
                        Just go into chat yourself to make two people, or leave to make no people, if you want the grammar to be more pallatable.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I still think it's silly. On can count on one hand how many times i've seen more than one person there.
                          Most of the time it's only one.
                          Must be like some of the debates in the OT

Do people make appointments to meet in the chat room?
                          (like women at the beauty parlor.)

RAH
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

No, people just feel like chatting so enter the chatroom. They sit in there, hoping someone else will enter (seeing as there is now someone in the chatroom).
                            Apart from the Candle'Bre chat, I don't think anyone has made appointments to meet in the chatroom.
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I'll go in if others are in there (usually Finns or CtPers) or if there is someone online I would vaguely like to speak to, and try and lure them in
                              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                              X