Äre you 1££7 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Äre you 1££7 ?

So I dont understand it lately. what is up with "sexy kills" and "l33t *****" "ownin jo0". And countless unreadable phrases written on chat bars ; somthing like " ~¦-ƒÆ_£?". Is this a fairly new thing? Who dreams this **** up?

Re: Äre you 1££7 ?

Originally posted by faded glory
    Who dreams this **** up?
    Pathetic wannabe hackers.
    "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
    "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
    "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

really? But whats the point? It just seems so retarded and anti-social.

Comment

Guess its their way of saying "Look at me! I'm different!"

Most people who speak 1337 aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the drawer either, since most aren't too well educated (thus the less than average command of the English language, despite the fact that it is their 1st language).
        Last edited by Jethro83; May 30, 2002, 02:58.
        "Corporation, n, An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." -- Ambrose Bierce
        "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." -- Benjamin Franklin
        "Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." -- Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It originated to get around censor programs, or other programs that network admins used that parsed text for certain words. Talking about "ass" over the university network might get you in trouble (to use a very lame example), but a program seeing the word "455" is unlikely to raise any alarms.

However, there are much more intelligent ways to have private conversations these days, and 1337 has been taken over by hacker-wannabe's. Negative attention is still attention.
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
            It originated to get around censor programs, or other programs that network admins used that parsed text for certain words. Talking about "ass" over the university network might get you in trouble (to use a very lame example), but a program seeing the word "455" is unlikely to raise any alarms.

However, there are much more intelligent ways to have private conversations these days, and 1337 has been taken over by hacker-wannabe's. Negative attention is still attention.
            I have been edubacated.

Comment

It's been going on in the geek scene for years now, and it's slowly creeping into the AOLer lexicon and now kids everywhere are starting to use it

It's mostly an attention/elitist stunt.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

The poor souls ...

See also http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...highlight=1337
                and

SG[1]
                "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

That site, thankfully, appears to have disappeared.
                  The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
                  Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
                  All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
                  "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

Originally posted by Chowlett
                    That site, thankfully, appears to have disappeared.
                    Good riddance to a stupid, ridiculous, senseless waste of webspace. Those of you who missed it, consider yourselves lucky, for there was no punishment worse than visiting it.

Comment

except perhaps running it
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Nope - that was the crime not the punishment - read your dostoievski ...

SG[1]
                        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Yeah, thanks God it's gone. I visited it while it was there - I had a very bad feeling, as if I just lost all my CDs.
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
                            Nope - that was the crime not the punishment - read your dostoievski ...

SG[1]

Perhaps that's what happened to the people who were running that site?
                            Maybe they killed an old pawn-broker with a hatchet, went mad, fell in love with a prostitute and were sent to Siberia where they underwent an epiphany and gradually regained their sanity and happiness through the peace and security of love.
                            Yeah .. that must be it.
                            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I tried reading my Dostoievski, but found it immensely dull after the first few chapters. So I went back to Gulliver's Travels.
                              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                              X