should I buy civ2 or civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuberski
    By.....others I think you mean Coracle, who will NEVER play against somebody who could beat him.
    No, I'm talking about frogs and ferrets. Although my sources tell me that the frogs have the ferrets scouting the lay of the land even as we speak.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
      GP.

Civ3. It has a large and growing fan base. If MP is your bag, it would be better to get there ahead of certain... others so that you can show them who's who come PTW. I assume that cost is not a large factor.

I would love to crash subs with you some time.
      Sure dude. I'm not a hard core gamer, but the human interaction would make it a charge. I like a lot of the older MP crew.

And playing against the twins would be a blast!

Comment

Originally posted by GP
        And playing against the twins would be a blast!
        Then buy Civ II MP... we are still playing that until we see what Civ III MP brings You would be "welcome" in any game we are playing
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Don't listen to the frog GP. He's just trying to lure you into the old school while he tools up for the new.

Get ahead of the game, and the frog. Go 3.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

From what you've said, I have to go with the frog.
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

You must be French.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

My cents worth? Civ2. Pick it up for next-to-nothing and its more versatile than Civ3 in almost any way.
                You have Scenarios, multi-play and well-established communities of both.
                Hopefully Civ3 will be able to live up to that ... someday.

Comment

IMO In the long run Civ 3's versatility will way outperform Civ 2's. Eventually scenario building will outpace civ 2's. Although this is all speculative, Id get civ3.
                  "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

My cents worth? Civ2. Pick it up for next-to-nothing and its more versatile than Civ3 in almost any way.
                    You have Scenarios, multi-play and well-established communities of both.
                    Hopefully Civ3 will be able to live up to that ... someday.
                    The word "CtP2" would replace "Civ2" in that sentence seamlessly.

But I'd say Civ2 for you GP.
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
                      Never the flawed braindead ICSing Civ3

probably MGE rather than 2.42 but it is a close call

SG[1]
                      "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                      "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Originally posted by Pythagoras
                        IMO In the long run Civ 3's versatility will way outperform Civ 2's. Eventually scenario building will outpace civ 2's. Although this is all speculative, Id get civ3.
                        Eventually is the operative word.

So buy CIVII now for real cheap, and by the time they perfect CIVIII it will also be in the bargain bin. Don't make the same foolish mistake that I did and pay full price for an unfinished game.

If you want MP experience, there is no choice

RAH
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

hmmm...sounds like MGE is the way to go.

How is the single player experience? Is it only bad in OCC?

And TOT is pointless, no?

Comment

rah, with what you know of Civ3, do you think PTW will better than MGE?

I mean would you rather play civ2 against other humans or civ3 against other humans. (Presumably you prefer MGE to Civnet, no?)

Comment

civ2 for the awesome scenarios. but you'll need mge

Comment

MGE is a really good game. If it is costs a 10 spot or whatever, it will be well worth your time.

You will be schooled by the old-timers, though. Just get used to the idea.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X