should I buy civ2 or civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• should I buy civ2 or civ3?

I'm thinking about getting back into civving. (I gave away my copy of 2.4.2 a while ago.)

Should I get anothje copy of 2.4.2 for 9 bucks or should I get MGE or should I get Civ3?

I would recommend neither. CTP2 seems interesting as an alternative, although i have not played it yet. Civ2 is only 9 bucks so it isnt that big of a deal, but nowadays there are better, more advanced games. Civ3, IMO, is definately not worth the (39.99?) + the 29.99 in a few months if you want a real editor and mp.
    The Civ3 world is one where stealth bombers are unable to sink galleons, Man-O-Wars are a powerful counter to battleships, and knights always come equipped with the AT-S2 Anti-Tank Sword.

The Simwiz2 Combat Mod Version 2.0 is available for download! See the changes here. You can download it from the CivFanatics Thread or the Apolyton Thread.

Comment

GP, wait until Firaxis offers you a "Battle Chest" or something with Civ3 and PTW in one box for a lower price, again f*cking over the loyal fans who paid for the beta.
      "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
      - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I'm afraid that your thread is going to attract all the usual moaners. Buy civ3, it's not perfect, but it's still a d**m good game.
        Probably should mention the system requirements are pretty high - you need 25 hours per day

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
        Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

GP,

It depends. Allow me to ask a couple of questions:

What did you like most about CivII?
          Did you play SMAC? Did you like it?
          Do you firmly believe that troops with superior weapons ought to always win a battle? (hint, CivIII does not have firepower like CivII, and wacky combat results will happen).

There are people who really hate CivIII here... and many of them (not all, of course) are big SMAC fans who see SMAC as a superior game. Or they at least thought that some of the SMAC features should have been included in CivIII.

I like CivIII, and have already devoted far too much time to it. I was into CivII, but never really liked SMAC.

It all depends on what you want out of the game.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I played Civ2 (ToT) and it was the only game that I enjoyed playing even after a year. CtP and AoE haven't made it longer than one day before I uninstalled them. Maybe there are newer and better versions by now, but I didn't try them.

Now I'm playing Civ3 and I enjoy it even more than Civ2. Especially the concepts of borders and culture make it so much different and even more interesting than Civ2.

Of course, every game can be improved, but Civ3's patch 1.21 has a quite good quality already.

Comment

I loved Civ2 and SMAC and SMACX, and am in the process of loving Civ3. Some don't like it depending apon there style of play, and because of a buggy first release(btw, anyone read the bug list that got fixed for SMAC, or SMACX anytime?), but I consider it quite an advancement and worth the money. The scenario editor part of it many have complained about is being released free, so now they've only got the MP not being included like n Civ2, and buggy release to whine about.
              "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

I think you should get Civ3, as even though I have never played Civ2, I have no doubt that there will be fewer and fewer mods made for Civ2 now that the new game has been released. There has been a lot of complaining about the incomplete scenerio editor, but that is being fixed by Firaxis and a new, free editor is bieng released sometime around June. If you're like some of the people around here and you can't seem to adapt at all to new methods of play, then you will hate the Civ3 representation of culture, where borders are flexible and cities may be "peacefully conquered", though I personally think that it is pretty cool.

However, I've gotta say that one of the best games i've ever seen is SMAC and SMACX (Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri and SMAC expansion Alien Crossfire), I liked those games better than Civ3 and both of the CtPs......

Glad to add another Civ player to our ranks, have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                  GP,

It depends. Allow me to ask a couple of questions:

What did you like most about CivII?
                  Did you play SMAC? Did you like it?
                  Do you firmly believe that troops with superior weapons ought to always win a battle? (hint, CivIII does not have firepower like CivII, and wacky combat results will happen).

There are people who really hate CivIII here... and many of them (not all, of course) are big SMAC fans who see SMAC as a superior game. Or they at least thought that some of the SMAC features should have been included in CivIII.

I like CivIII, and have already devoted far too much time to it. I was into CivII, but never really liked SMAC.

It all depends on what you want out of the game.

-Arrian
                  I nver got SMAC. Too lazy and I'm not that much of a gamer. I did like Civ2 a fair amount in a sort of mindless way. And I like the discussion on Civ2 strategy forum.

I don't mind if I lose troops. I don't need combat to be mechanical. I don't cry when I lose a unit unluckily.

Do you prefer Civ3 to Civ2?

Comment

In addition to what the others said:

If you want a great AI take Civ3.

If you want lots of gameplay features and don't mind science fiction elements take SMAC/X.

There's no real reason (IMO) to get Civ2 again and CTP2 is just crap (IMO again).

Comment

Civ 2

The Civ 3 AI is predictable, quirky, and often braindead. It is a BIG disappointment.

I had with Civ 2 fifty times the fun I've had with this very flawed Civ 3.

Civ 2 all the way. It is a true Classic, and no compouter gaming collection is complete without it.

Comment

I have played Civ2, SMAC w/ SMACX, and Civ3. I suggest you get Civ3. 'Nuff said.
                        I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Re: Civ 2

Originally posted by Coracle
                          The Civ 3 AI is predictable, quirky, and often braindead. It is a BIG disappointment.

I had with Civ 2 fifty times the fun I've had with this very flawed Civ 3.

Civ 2 all the way. It is a true Classic, and no compouter gaming collection is complete without it.
                          And Civ 2's AI wasn't predictable and braindead? Quirky seems to me to be an improvement.

Civ was better than Civ 2
                          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

GP.

Civ3. It has a large and growing fan base. If MP is your bag, it would be better to get there ahead of certain... others so that you can show them who's who come PTW. I assume that cost is not a large factor.

I would love to crash subs with you some time.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                              GP.

Civ3. It has a large and growing fan base. If MP is your bag, it would be better to get there ahead of certain... others so that you can show them who's who come PTW. I assume that cost is not a large factor.

I would love to crash subs with you some time.
                              By.....others I think you mean Coracle, who will NEVER play against somebody who could beat him.

I won't play MP because I don't know anybody around here to play it with and by Modem would be way too slow.
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                              X