Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do non-English speakers come to Poly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DarkCloud
    si eso es un buen idea.

nosotros aprendemos muchos nuevas lenguas!
    Spanish and French don't count.

Everyone speaks those.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Unlike you GP, some of these non English speakers play civ games.

So, why do you come here?
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Foreign people come here, so you could ask them about the ways of the world, funny habits of theirs and the meaning of Liff.
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

I was looking for a civ site and then I found Poly. Lurked for a while, thought it would be interesting to join the community and here I am. My English is far from perfect, but I think everybody understands what I say, and that keeps me coming back.

It is a matter of habit, also. Everyday I visit Apolyton, so it is as natural as breathing. During the Great Darkness (Dec 2001-Jan 2002), I almost suffocated.
          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Re: Why do non-English speakers come to Poly?

Originally posted by GP
            Just wondering. We have a very international group. Many people who don't have English as their native language. How many people here frequent native language boards? Do you prefer them to an English dominated board?

Is having more people worth the hassle of speaking in a foeign language?
            Believe me, after a while English doesn't feel foreign at all... Thanks to the Finnish education system, the language wasn't really much of a problem to begin with, and now it's almost a second language. I believe the people who don't really know English very well do think that it's worth the hassle to be around (to get to know people, gather information) - and for us others, there's no hassle.
            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

la relativa approvazione se non parlano inglese

Comment

son ok s'ils pas l'anglais de speek

Comment

Swedish message boards are too juvenile bordering to stupidity. Besides here you can discuss different views of the world, not to mention bash americans and zionists
                  I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Nobody's made a "But Americans don't speak English either" joke yet.
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

But Americans don't speak English either!
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

Perhaps it's too old, IW. Not that old jokes or old flame wars ever seem to die on 'Poly.
                        "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                        "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
                          Unlike you GP, some of these non English speakers play civ games.

So, why do you come here?
                          I was discussing Civ at Poly, back when you were a gleam in Sarge's DL-producing eyes, young punk.

If you think the most fun thing to talk about is civ, you are wrong. The game has been beaten so many ways. OCC on size 1 arctic city, etc. I got sick of it in 1999.

Maybe if I had MP, I'd feel different.

And who says, Apolyton has to be about Civ anyway. That's just the front end of the site which is used to lure in eventual OTers.

I don't buy the Mark/Dan line about how this is primarily a gaming site.

Comment

Do you all think that there are more non-English speaking civers on English-speaking boards or on native boards? (obviously the native boards are smaller. But if we summed them up.)

Comment

The English boards win hands down. On the web, anyway. For some strange reason local special interest communities seem to thrive on usenet while the English hierarchies are losing participants to web boards. I don't have first clue as to why.
                              "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
                              "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

You mean branching threads are losing out to UBB/VBB types of BBS?

Does it vary by nationality? For instance, do Germans tend to stick to their forums (like the one of Infograme Germany) while Finns go to the English boards?

Comment

Working...
                                X