Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INFO: SPECIAL FORUM STYLES (2nd Banner - Popup Trade-off)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• INFO: SPECIAL FORUM STYLES (2nd Banner - Popup Trade-off)

On August 2001 we started giving you an option regarding the ads that are shown in the forums(note: this is only for the forums). The definition of "trade-off" requires a positive and a negative part: <br><br>
    The good thing is that <u>you wont see the second ad</u> that appeares on the top(again, only in the forums). While our server speed is sufficient(or so we hope), our personal experience using the option is that loading times are better. <br><br>
    The bad thing is that when you enter the main forum page or forum display page for the first time of your visit(and only in the first time) <u>you will be geting one (single) pop-up ad</u>. We have set it so that <U>you wont get another pop-up for the next 24 hours</u> after the first.<br><br>
    <U>How to enable the option</u>: <br>
    - Simply go to styles settings in <a href=http://apolyton.net/forums/member.php?action=editoptions>your options page</a> and select one of the "Special" styles. There is a "Special" equivalent for every existing style.<br><br>
    <u>Got a pop-up while you didnt enable any of the special styles?</u> <br>
    - There seems to be a small bug with the styles(unrelated with the ads), and sometimes the style setting is reset. To correct this just go <a href=http://apolyton.net/forums/member.php?action=editoptions>the options page</a> and press the submit button(the right style appears as the selected option already).<br>
    - You may also be geting the pop-up if you are logged out. Login so that you can use the style that you have selected<br><br>
    <u>Why go into the trouble of changing?</u><br>
    - Because you wont be downloading and seeing ads that rarely interest you and because you'll be helping Apolyton<br><br>
    <u>Pop-ups in other parts of the site</u><br>
    We do have pop-up ads on the intermediate pages that appear in most times that you download a file or follow a link outside Apolyton. The <u>1 popup/24 hours/visitor</u> rule applies here as well.
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

I truly hate pop-ups, but this seems a good compromise - I can put up with 1/24hrs - but I use two machines - do I get one pop-up / machine / 24hrs?

SG[1]
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

yes, if you use two computers you'll get two banners(cookie for determining if you have goten a pop-up is stored locally in your browser cache)

Comment

Thanks - that was what I guessed - have changed to special anyway ...

SG[1]
        "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
        "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

A question Mark...

How come in some of the forums (like this one) I don't see who made the last post to the thread, and the rating shows differently then in other forums. Yet when I view other forums, it's OK ?

Just wondering
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

specific examples?

Comment

I currently use the "default" setting.

When view most of the forums... (OTF as example) the last three columns show as Replies, Views, and then rating stars (or blank) under them. The last column shows the time of the last post to the thread, and under that, the poster who made it.

In this forum... the last three columns are Replies (same) but next is Rating... and it shows a 0.00 for each thread, and no place for the stars to go. Also, it doesn't show thread views. In addition, the last column shows the time of the last post, but not who made it.

So as I switch between this forum and the OTF, I see different layouts.
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Ha Ha... you must have just fixed it... because it now looks the same as the OTF. However, I just checked another forum (Europa Universalis) and I still get the same view that I used to see here)

Just wanted to add that it seems to be the case for all the "other games" forums...
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

yeah, there seems to be a problem if you use the default style

i'm now using the light-special but see all the forums with it.

Comment

see the EU forum now

Comment

Thanks... All the "other games" forums look the same now.
                      Keep on Civin'

Comment

Why do you have a style dropdown on mainpage?
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
                          Why do you have a style dropdown on mainpage?
                          so that someone can test the styles easily

Comment

The counter on that place isn't changing. I changed styl, and the counter didn't change.
                            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

yes, because the change being done from the drop-down menu is not permanent, it only lasts for the current session

Comment

Working...
                              X