X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call in the US Army

Suggestion to Mark, Ming, and all the Apolyton guys:

Call in the Army.

I really mean the advanced study groups at all of the (Western) military / espionage / sociopolitical think tanks.

They dig this stuff... and some of'em get paid for playing around with games. Really.

I would love to see some of there contributions to the forums.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

I didn't know that they played Civ though. I have heard of the New Zealand army playing Serious Sam.
    Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
    Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

The Canadian Army plays LSLarry
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

You guys would be amazed.

In the late 80s I did crypto for the USMC, and some of my friends have stayed in the game... they play EVERYTHING.

The USMC actually had a custom version of MP DOOM developed for small unit tactics practice (I think; could have been some other FPS, but I'm pretty sure).

I would be shocked if some of the scenario planners don't play Civ. If they don't, they should.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

There's a theory that pulling the trigger a thousand times in computer games reduces the hesitation when the weapon is pointed for real at a real human.

Not surprising that armed forces would encourage 'play'.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

But it also dehumanizes the combat. Reports from Desert Storm revealed that fighter pilots sometimes thought it was a game rather than RL.

It´s really quite a frightening revelation that.

Does anyone else see parallells to Orson Scott Cards "Enders Game" ?
            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

But do you want your killers to think twice? Or do you want them to kill?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

But it also dehumanizes the combat. Reports from Desert Storm revealed that fighter pilots sometimes thought it was a game rather than RL.
                I think war itself is dehumanizing. Unless done in Civ... But hey, it´s just a game! It´s when people can´t see the difference between the game and reality when it gets frightening. I heard of some guys that had played CS or something similar on network, they got beaten by another guy they didn´t know, but they got so mad they went to his place and beat him up. Then you defenitly have played to much computergames!

Comment

Re: Call in the US Army

Originally posted by Theseus
                  I would love to see some of there contributions to the forums.
                  I'm sure you already do see their inputs.
                  Seemingly Benign
                  Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Didn't you know? Sid was paid to make civ for the US Army.

Oh oh, was that classified?
                    Member of Official Apolyton Realistic Civers Club.
                    If you can't solve it, it's not a problem--it's reality
                    "All is well your excellency, and that pleases me mightily"

Comment

Originally posted by Flanker
                      I heard of some guys that had played CS or something similar on network, they got beaten by another guy they didn´t know, but they got so mad they went to his place and beat him up. Then you defenitly have played to much computergames!
                      If this is true, then there was something wrong with these guys long before computer games got anywhere near them.

I have played computer games since 1984 (the year, not the book) and I don't think that shooting people has become any easier for me (thank God).
                      I doubt playing computer games teaches people anything about war. If it did, it would have people reaching for the reload short-cut in battle.

Robert
                      A strategy guide? Yeah, it's what used to be called the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                        But do you want your killers to think twice? Or do you want them to kill?
                        I want them to NOT kill of course. Maybe I was a little unclear. Flanker said it like I intended.
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Part of the reason for the harshness in boot camp is to dehumanize your recruits (to some extent). Without that dehumanization a soldier is more likely to hesitate in situations where they shouldnt. Soldiers are not police (though they are often used that way). In simple terms a soldiers job is to kill the enemy. Personally I wouldnt care if the pilots and soldiers saw their targets as bouncing bunny rabbits so long as they killed them (and therefore stayed alive themslves).
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

IMHO the Serious Sam Demo sucked (And thus I did not try the full version.), but maybe it was just me... But I like playing UT Demo with Instagib (One-shot kill. And as for why I didn't get the full version of that, what would I need it for? The extra weapons? Rofl... The other maps? Nah.).

And Duke3d still kicks ass.
                            "For it must be noted, that men must either be caressed or else annihilated; they will revenge themselves for small injuries, but cannot do so for great ones; the injury therefore that we do to a man must be such that we need not fear his vengeance." - Niccolo Machiavelli

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X

It´s really quite a frightening revelation that.

Does anyone else see parallells to Orson Scott Cards "Enders Game" ?
                              Some parralels yes. But Ender and company were kids that were being trained/brain washed whilst Army use young adults of legal age/citizenry. The big point 'bout Enders Game was the corruption of youth not so much the fact that war game trained folks to be efficient killers.

Now if you wanna argue war games played in military schools .....
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                              X