The joke was ok, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The joke was ok, but...

I really laughed at the "Surprise! forums dont work...", I am glad admins keep a sence of humour in these troubled times

but I know of at least 4 posts that existed and now do not exist!? What the hell is going on? how much is lost? will they be back? will this happen again?

I didnt even know I miss Apolyton utill these days

due to the server move and the extremely big file sizes involved, the forums are on the new server dont have the post of the last 36 hours or so. it is probably a few hundred posts....
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Mark, what will happen when you move them back? Will those reappear and all the new ones now dissappear? Or are those hundreds gone for good? (reasonably important for our football pool selections)

Yes good sense of humor with that message this morning. I know it's frustrating for you, and us.

It is a real joy to have the fast response time again. I thought I might actually have to do real work at work today.

Rich
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah
        Mark, what will happen when you move them back? Will those reappear and all the new ones now dissappear?
        when we move back the forums will first be closed, the entire data will be transferred and then we'll re-open the forums.

things were not that certain this time in order to do the move without such issues

Or are those hundreds gone for good? (reasonably important for our football pool selections)
        technically these posts still exist on the gamestats server but it's kind of difficult to access them
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

What is going on? Various posts and threads of mine seem to have disappeared?!

I noticed in the Dutch Apolyton Meeting 2002 thread (OT) that my post has disappeared, and I am sure those of other people too. My thread in this forum has disappeared about the absence of the search feature. This is weird.
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Thanks, working in DP for 20 years, I kinda figured that was gonna be the answer

It has been fun going back to some of the old threads and reblasting some people a second time knowing in advance how they'll responded to it.

Let's do the time warp again.

Hope the new year goes better than it has.

Rich
            It's true that you don't really appreciate something till you miss it.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Provost Harrison, if I understand Marks answer correctly....
              when they moved to the temp server, they used a backup copy instead of copying the live files, (due to the size involved). As a result a few days of posts and threads are missing. Since they were days where the server was slow and the activity was low, it was not deemed important enough to take the time to move the live copy. (and having had to make that decision before in the workplace I can understand how hard it is to make that decision) But I can agree that it was probably the right one.

Yes this does make for strange threads that you thought you had responded in but your responce is missing. And some threads missing. Have some fun with it like I have.

Rich
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I just thought my memory was failing for a minute
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

At my age, I just assume that to be the case.
                  It saves time.

Rich
                  RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

So what server are we on?

rah, singing off with 'Rich' in a thread with 3 people and 2 'Rich's had me confused for a minute
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I never knew RAH was a vocalist IW...
                      Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

I saw many of the threads, most wern't worth bringing back.

Rah, did you make your picks?

All the Slackers got ours in, even for the lost week.
                        I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                        i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Does it affect post counts?

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Hmmm...it sounds like those posts are trapped in some log files on the Gamestats server, log files which didn't get a chance to write to the actual database.

Sounds like restoring the logs is a pain in the ass too.

Where is a good DBA when you need him?
                            We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by *End Is Forever*
                              I never knew RAH was a vocalist IW...
                              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                              X