Markos, get rid of the Banana Boat Song MP3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Markos, get rid of the Banana Boat Song MP3

That MP3 is starting to annoy me too. Could you please do something to it? I really don't want to waste my bandwith on it.

Thanks!
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

I'm currently refering to this thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=35665

The MP3 file's URL: http://www.kenthecomputerguy.com/Per..._boat_song.mp3
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

No warez/pirated music!

In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
      In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

Originally posted by xane
        I starved a size 3 city down to size 1 and created a Worker, strangely the Worker is listed as "Barbarian" and it cannot join any of my cities !!!
        Was the pop in the city of your nationality? why not just add .mp3 to the censor?
        That would make HTML code with .mp3 in not to work.
        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I put it in there... I don't know what KrazyHorse was talking about, but I thought it'd be funny to embed the the song into that thread.

I'll edit it out if it really bugs you that much.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos
            why not just add **** to the censor?
            That would make HTML code with **** in not to work.
            and would ruin all music-related threads
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat

and would ruin all music-related threads
              it would be okay to say MP3, but not .mp3.
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Please email Markos and myself the banners that load on the page when the "Banana Song" plays. Please include: a screenshot and the URLs that the two banners point to.

-----------------
                Dan; Apolyton CS
                PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Originally posted by DanQ

two banners
                  What banners, Dan?

Comment

I am referring to the two advertising banners atop of every page on the forums and indeed throughout the site.

-----------------
                    Dan; Apolyton CS
                    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
                    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

But what on Earth will that help, Dan?

Comment

Ol' good bananas...

Because my latest Banana Boat Song posting thread was closed, I'll continue the BBS discussion here. Here's my earlier post, so that you may more easily give comments and thoughts:

Recently one or more Apolytoners have found it fun to include vB Code strip automatically loading an MP3 file to the thread viewer's browser. First of all those responsible should face the rest of us and at least appologise, or at least stop wasting bandwith and server capacity. If this continues, soon there's no capacity left for normal ACS surfing when some childish idiots spread that MP3. Veeerry funny! Perhaps I'm overeacting by saying that the server capacity will soon be used up, but I suppose you still get the point; use your wits!

I decided to check out what that music trick was really about, so I downloaded it from this location seen in the browser statusbar when loading a page including that MP3 trick:

http://www.kenthecomputerguy.com/Personal/LabRat/Day-o/banana_boat_song.mp3 (copy and paste to address line, if you want to download the MP3 file)

The URL should still work, so just feel free to load. I don't say you have the copyrights, but neither do I.

I opened the file in WinAmp and checked the file's details in the ID3 tag:

Heureka! Harry Belafonte! The Banana Boat Song!

I checked out MS Encarta 99 for more details on him and the song, because I was sure I had heard the song before:

Belafonte, Harry (1927- ), American folk singer, actor, producer, and activist for civil rights and humanitarian causes. Born Harold George Belafonte in the Harlem section of New York City, he moved as a child with his mother to Jamaica, her native country. After five years in Jamaica, Belafonte returned to Harlem. He studied acting in the late 1940s at the Dramatic Workshop of the New School for Social Research and later received a Tony Award for his appearance in John Murray Anderson's Almanac (1953). Belafonte first gained attention as a singer during an extended engagement at Broadway's Royal Roost nightclub, where he began specializing in the music of the West Indies. His first great success was the 1956 album Calypso, which included "Banana Boat Song," also known as "Day-O," his most famous recording. "Banana Boat Song," along with such songs as "Matilda" and "Brown Skin Girl," sparked a surge of interest in calypso music. Belafonte's carefree folk songs appealed to a broad cross section of the American public. He was one of the first pop music artists to achieve such wide appeal. His other albums include the popular Belafonte At Carnegie Hall (1959) and Belafonte Returns to Carnegie Hall (1960), which featured the song "There's a Hole in My Bucket," performed with the folk, jazz, and blues singer Odetta. Belafonte acted in several motion pictures, including Island in the Sun (1957), Uptown Saturday Night (1974), First Look (1984), and The Player (1992). He won an Emmy award for his 1960 television special Tonight with Belafonte, becoming the first black man to win the award.

I also searched for the lyrics with AltaVista, and found a Swedish website dedicated to Belafonte's career. Here's a link to the lyrics: http://w1.871.telia.com/~u87125666/lyrics/dayo.htm.

Hopefully this cleared things up a bit. But my message still is that please don't do things like this on ACS Forums.

Comment

Has anyone thought to check the source code and see who typed the URL for the song into their post?Would that work?
                          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

As I already said, I embeded that song into KrazyHorse's post as a joke. I have no idea what was causing the music he originally heard. And since nobody else heard music in that thread (or anywhere else, as far as I know), I don't see any reason to suspect that someone had embeded music into it.

I think Rasbelin is just going a bit nuts over the topic...
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Eli heard it. Read his "Something wird happens when I browse Poly" thread.
                              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Killing it is the new killing it
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X