Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy a new Server, I'm in for $50US -- Who Else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could just buy some of their cool merchandise.

I would like an Apolyton cap but I'm afraid the freight would kill me. Hey Mark, got any relatives mrigrating to Australia who could perhaps carry my purchase out here?
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

I too would be willing to put my two cents worth in or £30 in proper money!
      'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

Well, thanks to all of you who supported the concept! Since neither Dan nor Markos responded, I guess the idea was unrealistic...
        Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
        A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
        Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Originally posted by rev
          No, I haven't run "the" numbers, but I used to run a gaming network and at this moment I help operate a Maxis-related network (hosted by GS, actually), so I do know a bit of ballparking when it comes to servers.

So let's say this works; we get a server, we get it hooked up, and we're ready to rock-n-roll. Now we have to transfer 'poly over to the new server, track down bugs, etc. Then when the traffic returns to normal (and it will), you've got two servers to be paying for.

If the guys at GS are willing to foot that bill and expand their network, then by all means, go for it. I'd offer money of my own, but I'm a college student and I'm already broke as it is.
          Rev,

1. Appreciate your perspective. I've learned a little about the web business from my recent trolling.

2. I would propose moving the REST OF THE SITE/GS to the new server. Since Poly OT is the main breadwinner.

3. The new server should be as similar as possible to the old server (even if that's "outdated" to ensure compatibility/ease of maintenance/quick turn on time.

4. Agreed wrt to the time element. This is why I criticize the lack of planning. Many people on this forum were asking what Poly would be like with all the added traffic. TPTB (the powers that be) should have priced a new server and thought through how to conect it quickly. Then they could have swung into action. This is mostly a GS fault, but Mark and DAn could have been more proactive to let GS know what was coming.

5. I left out donations as a source of revenue in my earlier threads. Consider it added.

6. Mark has gone on a massive thread locking jag....

Comment

Markos and I appreciate everyone's offer of support, and for Mark's sprearheading of this idea. It's not that the idea is entirely unrealistic but that even if the advertising market was not in the bottomed out state it is currently in, the bandwidth/upkeep costs would be considerable and moreover it's not the capacity of the server that is in question but rather making better use of the resources it already has. It's a trial and error process.

<I>... but Mark and DAn could have been more proactive to let GS know what was coming.</I>

This implies that we did not do something that we were should have done and this is not the case, GP. Please re-review the contents <A HREF="http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=33244" TARGET="_new">of this thread</A>.

----------------
            Dan; Apolyton CS
            PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
            >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Dan, let's agree to disagree and leave it there. I already read your thread. The readers will judge for themselves based on reading it. Thanks for providing them the link.

Although we disagree on this minor issue, I remain supportive of Poly both in terms of advice and willingness to chip in a few bucks. And I wish you lots of success and happiness in personal life.

Fair enough, Mr. Emperor?

Comment

By "making better use of the resources" he means disabling some features so it'll run faster.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

What's wrong with that? There are also all sorts of optimisations that can be done to reduce load time.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Well, UR, from a consumer point of view, it's not nice to cut out features just because you don't want to change something on the firm's end.

But we all know how well you can perceive things from the consumer standpoint.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I could perhaps give a hint that there's a more easy way
                      to get cash for Ape.

See my new Help ACS, point n' click, it's that simple! thread.
                      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                        Well, UR, from a consumer point of view, it's not nice to cut out features just because you don't want to change something on the firm's end.

But we all know how well you can perceive things from the consumer standpoint.

As usual Glonk talks about what the cosumer wants from his vast repertoire of experience. We all know how much Glonk likes these cute features that nobody else cares, such as the ability to change the background image of a cell in a table.

As a matter of fact, the two biggest features any website can provide are speed and availability. That's why simple designs are used on all the large websites.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Sure, heh 50 bucks?

*whips out mink wallet*

I think Apolyton in its current form could make a small amount of profit just by using its own server and hosting other Civ Sites.

But hey ; I know absolutely nothing about making money on the net

except one time I had an All Advantage bar...5 or 10 bucks a month.

Comment

Working...
                          X