Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buy a new Server, I'm in for $50US -- Who Else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy a new Server, I'm in for $50US -- Who Else?

I don't know if this is a practical approach but I would gladly contribute cold hard cash to take care of the server situation. I am good for $50US considering how much I use Apolyton.

Markos and Dan, please let me and others know if this is practical soon, but in the meantime I'll assume its a viable alternative.

I'm not asking anyone who can't easily afford it to chip in... Just if you have some cash handy, and annoyance at the way things have been, put your money where your mouth is! Its just gonna get worse unless we do something!

As I said in the title I'll kick in 50 bucks to get this idea rolling, but of course only if enough others will to make a difference.

See you on the forums! (when they #@%^$% work )
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

I'll put in $50.

Set up a paypal account, Mark.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

You can buy the server, but who's going to pay the monthly bills for bandwidth, maintenance, space, et cetera? That can be quite expensive, running into several hundred a month.

Sorry guys, but that plan is inherently flawed, as much as I wish it weren't so.
      the good reverend

Comment

I'm prepared to negotiate on a cash donation in return for say a 10,000 post increase in my post count
        Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

It's not a permanent thing, Rev.

The bandwidth is fine, according to them, we just need more powerful servers (CPU power is what's holding us back).
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by rev
            You can buy the server, but who's going to pay the monthly bills for bandwidth, maintenance, space, et cetera? That can be quite expensive, running into several hundred a month.

Sorry guys, but that plan is inherently flawed, as much as I wish it weren't so.
            A. How do you know? Have you done the numbers?

B. CPU is the bottleneck, not bandwidth.

C. How do you think existing bandwidth gets paid for!!!???

Comment

I'm in for five oh.

Comment

Hell, I've paid more than $50 (30 quid) for boxed CD sets that I've barely listened to - as a retrograde payment for all the pleasure I've had from Apolyton, 30 quid is a bargain.

Not to mention some truly crap nights out that cost a hell of a lot more than 30 quid

yada

Comment

If the bottleneck is not the Net connection, then they probably need a couple of servers to start a cluster farm.

Where's Lefty when we need him?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I'm good for $50
                    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

No, I haven't run "the" numbers, but I used to run a gaming network and at this moment I help operate a Maxis-related network (hosted by GS, actually), so I do know a bit of ballparking when it comes to servers.

So let's say this works; we get a server, we get it hooked up, and we're ready to rock-n-roll. Now we have to transfer 'poly over to the new server, track down bugs, etc. Then when the traffic returns to normal (and it will), you've got two servers to be paying for.

If the guys at GS are willing to foot that bill and expand their network, then by all means, go for it. I'd offer money of my own, but I'm a college student and I'm already broke as it is.
                      the good reverend

Comment

Thanks everyone I Knew we could count on AH to come up with a novel approach . But we need a lot more people. We shouldn't push this until we hear its a viable alternative.

rev: What I've got in mind as a scenario if GS agrees would be: put in the new server in parallel with the old, get everything loaded, when the new server is tested out gang em together. Use both for Apolyton until/if the traffic goes way down again. GS can then do whatever they want with the old machine. I don't have any experience in this area, that's why I'm waiting for those in the know to respond before I get too excited about this.

Then again, with 10k logins, if its practical to buy a new server, and if only 1% of us have $50 they'd be willing to throw in, we're home free.
                        Last edited by Mark_Everson; November 7, 2001, 07:34.
                        Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
                        A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
                        Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

Originally posted by Seneca
                          Hell, I've paid more than $50 (30 quid) for boxed CD sets that I've barely listened to - as a retrograde payment for all the pleasure I've had from Apolyton, 30 quid is a bargain.

Not to mention some truly crap nights out that cost a hell of a lot more than 30 quid

Very true

I could chip in 30 £ too
                          Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                          GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

well actually I'd send the money to mark or dan specifically for upgrade. If the server finishes with GS I don't care as long as we can all live here happily ever after (there should be a no complaints policy, this should be a donation after all)

btw, I don't think the traffic levels will go to the old ones since the old public was civ II and CTP communities which were a lot smaller. Plus many more people will want to stay here. Look at MOO that could expand here if handeled well. This already is, and could be THE place for civ maybe even TBS etc... maybe even profitable after 20 years . And at least 80% of the civ III buyers will have net access as opposed to maybe 20% for civ II and 50 % for ctp (just a guess, but definitley a big increase ), and Civ III will sell better than CTP. In the near future we have Civ III MP release. The future is bright, we just need hardware.
                            Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                            GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I know that this won't raise much $, but I'm currently clicking on the ads like a monkey on speed
                              'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                              - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Working...
                              X