Inserting smileys in messages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inserting smileys in messages

I like the screen to the left of the editing field where we can just click on a smiley and the code appears in the field, but is it possible to get the code to be inserted at the point where the cursor is situated?

I often add smileys after I type the message, and when I use the board on the left, all smiley codes are added at the very end of the editing field, so I still have to do everything manually then...

Re: Inserting smileys in messages

Originally posted by Narck
    is it possible to get the code to be inserted at the point where the cursor is situated?
    nope. javascript cant tell whe your cursor is in a textarea box....
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

yeah I noticed that. at least I know why now.

Comment

Just type it in. That's usually faster.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

If you don't know what to type, move your mouse pointer so that it hovers over the smiley that you want. Down in the bottom left corner of your browser it will show you exactly what needs to be typed (javascript: smilie('xxxx')). Just type the bit in quotes and don't miss any colons. Also, be careful when stringing multiple smileys together, as they don't always come out the way you expect if you don't insert a space between them.
          Peace, Wisdom, and No Karma

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
            nope. javascript cant tell whe your cursor is in a textarea box....
            So why don´t you do it in PHP then (or whatever other scripting language you fancy and can tell where the cursor is)?
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Smilies are a last minute thing for me too. Sometimes I don't know what smilies to use so I just pick a few.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Markos: Sounds like Javascript can use some improvements

Comment

Working...
                X