Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anti-spam idea

MarkG, DanQ

isn't it possible to only earn a postcount if your post ie. consists of at least 50 characters ? That'll stop a big load of spam.....
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Even better solution, disable post counts altogether...

(By the way, the first line of this message was 56 characters long, so a 50 characters limit would most probably not stop oneliners... It would stop the post-only-a-rolling-eyes-smiley business, though)
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

removing postcounts at all won't be a good idea.
      The biggest instrument to use against spam is... PR !

Only 56 ? In that case the limit should be 100 or 150 I guess.

Comment

Who cares? Why the fuss? Why do you care about other people getting post counts so much? Unless you care about post counts yourself...

...sometimes all of these anti-post count rants just seem to be a form of jealousy; if you didn't care, you wouldn't be bothered in the slightest, either pro and anti-
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

why I care ?
          Because a big % of the threads are about people complaining they got a pr after spamming while they weren't spamming but the mod thought they were spamming though and then they agree to disagree and all that.

I wouldn't really care less if you got suddenly twice as much pc as you have right now.

Comment

I don't care about post counts, but the problem with it is it is the single biggest incentive for spam on 'Poly. So doing away with post counts will cause a huge decrease in spam.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

post counts / schmost counts. I do not understand why people seem to think that a succinct post must be spam, whereas a long post won't be.

Comment

Gary is 100% correct. The length of the post has nothing to do with whether it is spam or not.

I've seen situations where a single "smile" post is not only appropriate, but the only response possible. On the other hand, I've seen the exact same smile used and it is pure spam... it depends on the context.

I've also seen 1000 word posts that are spam... remember when people first found the complaint generators...
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

of course you're both right,

but I think 90% of the spam contains less then 150 characters.
                  And, it's not that bad if your post doesn't improve your postcount, does it ?

Comment

One begins to wonder if the continuous post-count / spam discussions aren't themselves spam... I agree with Ming, automating a spam finder just won't work.
                    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                    intelligence to few.

Comment

I believe everybody worries a bit to much about it, but it is a subject we all like to talk about.

I still have the same opinion (PC, and titles=waste of time), but I also know I'm in the minority in this view, as proved by the many people who post about it.

And on the hypocrite meter (did I spell it right? wouldn't want someone to think I don't know how to use it), Rich, didn't you ask repeatedly for your 4900 posts to be restored? I have lost some over time, through PCR and the various tech glitches at poly, and I still don't care about it, or them(the posts).

It's just a stupid number, for god's sake.
                      I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                      i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Cybershy, and why exactly wouldn't removing PC's be a good idea? It would be pretty effective in ending fights about PC's IMO.
                        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                          I don't care about post counts, but the problem with it is it is the single biggest incentive for spam on 'Poly. So doing away with post counts will cause a huge decrease in spam.
                          I'm not too sure about that. At present the only ways of punishing people for spam is banning them or reducing thier post counts. As banning would be a huge overreaction in many cases, geting rid of post counts would take away an important weapon for punishing spammers.
                          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Some spammers spam just for the heck of it. The rest spam for post counts. Clearly abolishing post counts has no effect whatsoever on the former group, but it would remove the fundamental cause for the latter group.

I realise there's no way one can completely stop spam without stopping everybody from making posts, but taking away the incentive seems to be a reasonable measure. As an analogy, the best way to stop a kettle of water from boiling is to turn of the stove underneath it.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

All my posts are short and lovingly crafted

Brevity is the soul wit - which would make Cybershy pretty witless

And don't get me started on MTG. Does his train of thought ever have a caboose?
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X