Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny...my serial for Opera 5.0 works for 5.12 as well

Comment

Until Opera can render my homepage correctly it is placed in my trashcan.

How come I have this feeling that it is your homepage that is to blame and not Opera?
      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
      And notifying the next of kin
      Once again...

Comment

A web page that uses IE-specific tags can't be rendered properly by other browsers.

BTW Gecko is also very small and fast. I think there are a number of standalone browsers that are based on the Gecko engine (which is at the core of Mozilla, which also has a bunch of other things such as e-mail clients).

The drawback of using "child" windows is, if the program crashes, they all go.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

still ant access that download even from home !!!! maybe they just busy lately
          GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
            The drawback of using "child" windows is, if the program crashes, they all go.
            ... but fortunately Opera remembers where it was if it crashes.
            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

... but fortunately Opera remembers where it was if it crashes.

And unlike other browsers that I won't mention, for Opera that's a really BIG if...
              Once again...

Comment

Another advantage of Opera is that you can watch how fast a side is loading you can see the numbers of pictures that are left and how much of the page is left.

I think Netscape 4.5 and Netscape 6 use also child windows, but you don't notice it, because there are all in the task bar. I had four or five windows of Netscape 6 open as one window crached and all the other windows crashed also. And I now that you are only able from within Netscape 6 to start a new Netscape 6 window.

In my opinion is it OK to have small add banner i the upper right corner. The programmers had so much put into this program.

Unfortunatly I wasn't able to attach a file with Opera 5.11, unfortunatly I can't test it right now, therefore someone should try it with Opera 5.12 that we all can see if it is possible or not.

-Martin
                Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Will it show Hebrew correctly?
                  "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    A web page that uses IE-specific tags can't be rendered properly by other browsers.
                    The only reason they're IE-specific is because no other browsers care to implement them. Most people use IE, if you want your browser to stick out from the crowd, make it fast, stable, free, and have IE compatability.

There's a ton of cool stuff you can do in IE that other browsers don't support. I don't know if it's outside their technical know-how to implement (probably not), or if it's just because they scoff: "That's not part of the W3C STANDARDS!!".

Newsflash: The standard is IE. Adapt. The W3C standards are by no means official internet standards, they're just a bunch of standards put together by some committee saying all browsers should adhere to. Too bad they don't make browsers, eh?
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I started to dl the version with the Java and the operation timed out after 5 megs.
                      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Ok, I have it.

The good stuff :
                        It's FAST.
                        It's not explorer.

The bad stuff :
                        No Hebrew.
                        No alt tabbing.
                        When I use alt+f4 as i'm used to close a window it closes the whole browser. Happened twice while typing this post.
                        It has a problem with the yellow/red thingies near the topic names on Poly.

Comment

Newsflash: The standard is IE. Adapt. The W3C standards are by no means official internet standards, they're just a bunch of standards put together by some committee saying all browsers should adhere to. Too bad they don't make browsers, eh?

Ah yeah, I forgot you were the M$ guy... Let Bill make the rules and f**k the rest... I may not account for much but if you are too lazy to adhere to the standards I click away from your site in no time...
                          Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Zopper
                            Funny...my serial for Opera 5.0 works for 5.12 as well
                            My serial for Opera 3 (or 4, who cares? ) works for 5 and 5.12 as well

oh wait... that's illegal

* Siro :banned: *

Comment

Originally posted by Glonk
                              The only reason they're IE-specific is because no other browsers care to implement them.
                              Wow! This is the tightest circular reasoning I have ever seen, all in one sentence.

<em>They're IE specific because they're IE specific</em>

Most people use IE, if you want your browser to stick out from the crowd, make it fast, stable, free, and have IE compatability.
                              Most people use IE because it's "integrated" with Windoze which most people get when they order their PC's. They probably wouldn't know where to download a different browser even if they don't like IE.

There's a ton of cool stuff you can do in IE that other browsers don't support. I don't know if it's outside their technical know-how to implement (probably not), or if it's just because they scoff: "That's not part of the W3C STANDARDS!!".
                              Which one of these "cool" features makes a material difference in attracting users to visit a site repeatedly?

This is the sort of jokes that has been coming out of Redmond lately

<em>"This is not an official standard, just because all the major browser developers agreed on it means nothing. We also agreed on it, but that doesn't mean it's an official standard. Ours is an official standard because we say so. We are big and mean and ugly."</em>

FYI, Glonk, M$ is on that committee. Will the real M$ please stand up?

Also FYI, IE 5 for Mac <em>completely</em> supports these standards. So is it a technical problem with the M$ Windoze IE team that they failed to do so? One can on wonder.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

As far as I know, IE can render all of the W3C compliant pages. Not once have I had any problems with it (in anything 5.5 and above).

If you could kindly point me to a site that IE doesn't display right but Mozilla et al. do, feel free.

I could point you to a dozen that IE displays right and the others don't.

Why doesn't the Mozilla devteam just add in support for the "IE-specific tags"? It's a huge coalition of open source programmers, they sure as hell have the manpower for it.

The reason they don't add it is because they just want to put a nice sticker on their product saying "standards compliant, IE isn't, nyeah. Who cares if you'll still have trouble rendering some pages, this IS the standard!"

Which one of these "cool" features makes a material difference in attracting users to visit a site repeatedly?
                                Using that kind of logic you can shoot down basically all of CSS. It's just nice little things that can enhance the user experience, like being able to control table borders better, recolor the scrollbar, etc.

There's a reason why developers sometimes use the IE-specific tags: The "standards" tags are inadequate.
                                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                                X