I realise it has already been pointed out but just to reitterate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I realise it has already been pointed out but just to reitterate

Stopping the post count in OT hasn't stopped spamming at all. The SPAM has just moved to the ontopic forum. You are just encouraging us to become smarter. I realise from a 'promoting evolution' stand point that's a good idea but in forum terms......
    A witty quote proves nothing. - Voltaire

There has always been some spamming on the on topic forums. I haven't noticed a huge increase of it since the change in rules. About the only place that spam has increased is here in the Apolyton/Community section which I can live with.
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

And I am not going to name names, but the <em>Civ 3</em> Suggestion forum has been littered with useless, brain-dead suggestions and lots of one-liners.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

i resemble that remark...

but what can we do about it ?

PCR dont work as they just promote more spamming to make up lost ground. Banning/Vacations only delays the problem as people invariably make DLs whilst banned to Spam even more with...

I am beginning to agree with those that call for the OffTopic PC to be reinstated. or perhaps a total site wide removal ...
        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Ahh, but what of the opinions of the people who really count?
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Rasputin
            i resemble that remark...

but what can we do about it ?

PCR dont work as they just promote more spamming to make up lost ground. Banning/Vacations only delays the problem as people invariably make DLs whilst banned to Spam even more with...

I am beginning to agree with those that call for the OffTopic PC to be reinstated. or perhaps a total site wide removal ...
            I disagree. I spam so that I get PCRs.

I have a goal of 0 posts.
            My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
            from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
            --MarkG

and by MikeH
            she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

What we can do is to completely remove post counts.

I realise that will not completely eliminate spam. Taking away the primary objective will put a large dent into the "spamming incentives," though. At least systemetic spamming will be a thing of the past.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Hello. I am new here. Can someone tell me what a DL is?

Comment

How can you be a King if you're that new (spammer ). BTW, DL means double login as in second user name (just in case you aren't trolling ).
                  Peace, Wisdom, and No Karma

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                    Ahh, but what of the opinions of the people who really count?
                    and who are these mysterious people, the only people i know that reaaly count are Accountants

Comment

ABOLISH! ABOLISH! ABOLISH! ABOLISH! ABOLISH! ABOLISH!

(You get my point)
                      This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

I had a thought.
                        We abolish PC in the OT -> increase in on-topic spam

Surely the solution is obvious
                        Abolish on-topic PC, but reinstate OT PC, forcing all the spam where it belongs, into the OT.
                        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by LightEning
                          ABOLISH! ABOLISH! ABOLISH! ABOLISH! ABOLISH! ABOLISH!

(You get my point)
                          another example of rules being broken ,, repetition !!!!

Comment

Two commas, four exclamation marks. Isn't that repetition ?

On the other hand, I just searched the FAQ for the words "repeat" and "repet" (for repetition, repetiting, etc) and found nothing. So, what rules were we discussing anyway?
                            This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Originally posted by LightEning
                              Two commas, four exclamation marks. Isn't that repetition ?

On the other hand, I just searched the FAQ for the words "repeat" and "repet" (for repetition, repetiting, etc) and found nothing. So, what rules were we discussing anyway?
                              From section XIX
                              a) spamming(=posting continuous one letter/ word/ phrase/ whatever posts): -20% of post count

i guess your right it doesnt use the word repetition ....

i just thought it did....

Comment

Working...
                              X