No announcement yet.

The poll you always feared but never expected to come: abolishing postcounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The poll you always feared but never expected to come: abolishing postcounts

Yes, I’m willing to sacrifice my dearly-earned status. Yes, there shall be a violent backlash, which shall dwarf the upheaval after Ming's election to moderator and YYYH's & Stewart Spink's banning combined. Blood shall be shed, lives will be lost, innocents will flee, a simmering discontent will remain long after the battle has been fought and ACS shall have lost its last remnants of serenity....

But this all for the well-being of these forums.

No seriously, I think that all things taken into account, postcounts have more disadvantages than advantages, (not that I can think of any serious advantages to begin with) it encourages making posts for the sake of it and not for the content.
    ‘Status’ can be earned as in real live, by being interesting, honest, friendly, funny, having longevity, a cool avatar or whatever, no need for post counts for that.

I’m sure that if titles have to stay, there’s some sort of other way to distribute them.

The poll is expired.

Last edited by Colonâ„¢; June 15, 2001, 09:25.
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

So far, 100% of the 2 voters want to abolish post counts. Do we really need to continue this poll considering the overwhelming support for Colon's suggestion?

Comment

Sorry, post counts are part of the fun. And without fun I dont need this place.
      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

Eli, how are pc's fun for you?
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

For someone with the name "Colon" you have a disturbing fascination with chocolate

Is it because of my chocolate starfish comment?
          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Title? I don't need no stinkin' Title!

I still say that the titles should come with length of time with the site.

Let everyone pick their own avatar, and make everyone equal!
            I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
            i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Re: Title? I don't need no stinkin' Title!

Originally posted by Chris 62
              make everyone equal!
              Communist!!

Comment

Chris, my concern isn't so much with "equality" or even with the avatars, rather with the fact it encourages making posts to jack up your score and thereby spamming.

I don't blame people for doing that, I know the feeling myself.
                I remember that a long time ago, Markos posted a list of top posters. I was 4th on it and Dominikos (or Sergeant Sheets, can't really recall well) was 5th with no so many posts behind. Our immediate reaction was to compete for that 4th spot.

Even though we were kidding around, it was enough reason for Markos to never post such a list again to prevent or at least discourage pc competition. (why he added a top 20 list with the recent update, I don't know)
                Most people (or males) just like competing, even if it concerns a silly thing as pc's, but the problem is that it affects the quality of posts.

Caligistia, it's just for the joke.

Besides, you still haven't explained to me why I'm specifically supposed to get a starfish?

Comment

Originally posted by Colon
                  Besides, you still haven't explained to me why I'm specifically supposed to get a starfish?

Well a 'chocolate starfish' is a slang term for someone's anus. The anus being part of the colon (anal passage). You must have heard the word colon used in this way before, as in 'colon cancer'?

Sorry, just my sick toilet humor coming through...

Comment

post count baaad!
                    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Whine whine whine.
                      My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
                      from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
                      --MarkG

and by MikeH
                      she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

Caligastia, LOL, I thought you were alluding to my Belgian origin when you said I should get a chocolate starfish. (Belgium being associated with chocolate a lot)
                        Yes, maybe I'll search for a chocolate starfish, it would surely be a fitting avatar.

Kitty, Lefty, I see you brought up your most irrefutable arguments as well.

Comment

Chris, my concern isn't so much with "equality" or even with the avatars, rather with the fact it encourages making posts to jack up your score and thereby spamming.
                          Imagine a forum with no post-counts....

[Far-Future mode]

We'll take a look into the Civ2 MP forum :
                          *gasp* where is all the friendly banter gone? Now just see a long list turns. Where has the will to fun-post, interact and converse gone to?

CTP MP forum.
                          A PBEM game perhaps... "Game to <i>x</i>", "Game to <i>y</i>"
                          Gosh what a lively place.

CTP2 general forum
                          Loads of threads started by newbies, asking questions. No replies to these queries because no-one can be bothered to waste their connection time making a post to answer an *obvious* question.

OT forum.
                          Less fun-posting, fewer game threads, loss of sense of community. Its already happened a bit because post-counts no longer count there.

[/Far-Future mode]

Anyway, the point of this look into a Communist Apolyton was that without some reason for posting selflessly, to help newbies, or a fun-post in the on-topic forums, a less people will bother to make posts that add humour or help or whatever to the boards. Its an ambition to aspire to and to keep

BTW. A more interesting, though less final poll could have been:

Abolish PC (I'm a settler)
                          Abolish PC (I'm a chieftain)
                          Abolish PC (I'm a warlord)
                          Abolish PC (I'm a prince)
                          Abolish PC (I'm a king)
                          Abolish PC (I'm a emperor)
                          Abolish PC (I'm a deity)

Keep PC (I'm a settler)
                          Keep PC (I'm a chieftain)
                          Keep PC (I'm a warlord)
                          Keep PC (I'm a prince)
                          Keep PC (I'm a king)
                          Keep PC (I'm a emperor)
                          Keep PC (I'm a deity)

Abolish PC (I'm MarkG so this vote decides it anyway )
                          Keep PC (I'm MarkG so this vote decides it anyway )

Maybe a bit too many options though...
                          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Man you guys suck. Are your lives so pathetic that you feel the need to brag about how much time youhave wasted on a single website?

post counts or no post counts. If you post do it for the sake of posting (spam for spam's sake) not so you can shove it in the face of another pimply faced geek.

My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
                            from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
                            --MarkG

and by MikeH
                            she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

Wombat, don't tell me everyone is posting here because they like post counts.

There's simply no point about it, and if there's no point about it and even has adverse effects, then why not just quit with it?

Kitty, having stomach-ache again?

Comment

Working...
                              X