Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Count rewards as well as punishments

Mark, Dan

I think this the whole PCR/ban regime errs too far on the punishment side. You have a stick but where is the carrot for good site citizenship?

I suggest that in addition to post count reduction (PCR's), you also have post count increases (PCI's) to reward people who have made a significant contributions to the site. Deserving people would include people like WesW on the CTP forums, who is widely respected and has made a significant contribution to the game's development and the enjoyment of members.

This would also go some way to address the problem that MarkG has alluded to about spammers being the leading posters and getting titles and so forth.

Maybe other rewards in terms of titles could also be considered?

What do you think?

Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Good idea.

Maybe you want the official "Troll" title back?
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Urban Ranger, for example, is someone who've I've thought for some time should be rewarded for his tireless efforts.
      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Comment

That's one way to put it, AH.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I would think that most if not all posters (excluding blatant knee biters) would be a coveted treasure, considering a site is only as marketable as its traffic?
          Life and death is a grave matter;
          all things pass quickly away.
          Each of you must be completely alert;
          never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSneak
            I would think that most if not all posters (excluding blatant knee biters) would be a coveted treasure, considering a site is only as marketable as its traffic?
            That's quite true. In fact, if it wasn't for this site I would have never met you.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse
              Urban Ranger, for example, is someone who've I've thought for some time should be rewarded for his tireless efforts.
              Most definitely.

Even after taken that into consideration nobody comes close to you for the official Troll title.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I beg to differ...

I disagree, AH. Anything that sets the membership apart could only be disruptive. Reputation alone should be enough, based on the respect of fellow posters to any one poster in question.

I find that when people have titles, they stop being themselves, and start posting to the title, to justify it's exisistance. Post counts are only relavent to me as far as the Avatar goes. I still think that keeping the count is pointless, and that all should be permitted to chose thier own Avatar.
                I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Re: I beg to differ...

Originally posted by cpoulos
                  I disagree, AH. Anything that sets the membership apart could only be disruptive. Reputation alone should be enough, based on the respect of fellow posters to any one poster in question.

I find that when people have titles, they stop being themselves, and start posting to the title, to justify it's exisistance. Post counts are only relavent to me as far as the Avatar goes. I still think that keeping the count is pointless, and that all should be permitted to chose thier own Avatar.
                  Ya I can see you practice what you preach - trailing that airborne patch around with you everywhere

Comment

I earned it...

Originally posted by Alexander's Horse

Ya I can see you practice what you preach - trailing that airborne patch around with you everywhere
                    I earned it in the real world, now I can wear it in the cyber world, too.
                    But seriously, I believe titles should go toward length of time on the site. I wouldn't have one, and that's fine with me. I don't even use a nick-name on this site. You yourself, AH, commented on the fact that your troll title was a bother after awhile. Why saddle someone with this headache?
                    Besides, you know how the kiddies are about titles and counts.
                    I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
                    i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Re: I beg to differ...

Originally posted by cpoulos

I like the idea of some sort of reward system, but I think the reality of implementing it would be more divisive than the current PCR/banning. Imagine the whimpering and whining that would go along with people trying to suck up to a Post Count Addition. I think the traditional bribes of money/sex/favors should stay as is.

And I couldn't agree more with cpoulos and Sneak. Reward people for longevity and reputation as well as simply being a good customer.
                      Here's a link.

Comment

then it'd be like in irc, where kids would suck up to ops. and irc is.... yuck. wouldn't want boards to be yuck too.
                        Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
                        Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
                        "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

F**K post count & post count status.
                          Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                          Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                          "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                          From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

I think anyone who is this concerned with postcounts should just be given the custom rank of "Post count whore" and be done with it.

Comment

Post count additons are an interesting idea...but I think I have a better one...

BBs!

Ever since I went to The Frontier site, I've been thinking how cool it would be to have them here. Think about it--instead of plain, mediocre, generic post counts, there would be specific awards for specific accomplishments, like helping out in various on-topic fora, answering newbies questions, etc.

I WANT BBs, DANGIT!!!
                              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Working...
                              X