The Scarlet Letter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Scarlet Letter

Being the cruel vindictive judgmental fiend that I am, I really get a kick of the "banned" showing up in the post count field for our miscreant siblings.
    And...
    I got to thinking (and salivating) about the other forum humiliations that could be heaped upon them. Among the mildest was to make the "banned", well, scarlet. They I really got flying into fantasy. To conceal my depravity in the area of PUNISHMENT, I think I will keep these to myself for a little while, but, I was wonder what the other rabid or twisted disciplinarians around here would like to see as a badge of dishonor/rebellious pride attached to the virtual image of our guide line violating brethren, particularly the tasteless ones.
    Last edited by Lefty Scaevola; May 25, 2001, 19:52.
    Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
    Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
    "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
    From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Chill out!

Mrs. Scaevola cut you off or something Lefty?
    I believe Saddam because his position is backed up by logic and reason...David Floyd
    i'm an ignorant greek...MarkG

Comment

Well, after campaigning so hard to get the spell-checker, and then secretly realising that it wasn't as useful as he thought, Lefty probably needed to justify to himself the effort, by getting some use out of it.
      What better way than a thread where he can use lots of long words all in a row?
      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Actually, that is my normal conversational style; I typically use a shorter and simpler style when posting, for economy of keystrokes. Above is what I "sound" like every day to my friends and family.
        "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
        From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

What about an archive of shame, where posts that were so heinous that they were the cause of ban, are moved and stored, with moderator commentary added, to serve as examples to our wild brethren of what is right out. Official histories of infamous mass banning could also be placed there. We could erect a veritable virtual museum of posting horrors to chill the souls of the righteous and mild mannered, and deter the chaotic impulses of the wicked.

Comment

I don't get it...

Comment

Sounds like a good idea. More clarity in what is allowed/not allowed, and it would be great entertainment

Comment

I think that what is not allowed can be easily thought of using common sense, but it would be entertaining yes...
                The Apolyton Hall of Shame...it does have a nice ring to it

Comment

Ressurected to comare with Rasputin's public flogging thread.
                  :banned:

Comment

It's yet another silly idea. Some youths are bound to test the limits. They want to how bad can they get before a permanent ban zaps them...
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Some of us just can't help it... I've got banned twice...the first time was because someone took over my account/walked up to my computer and spammed something all over the place, the second time was because I got carried away in the coffeeshop, the third time was because I messed up masking my DL IP

Comment

What about having the avatar changed, during the period of the ban, to a fat "BANNED"...
                        Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by Mercator
                          What about having the avatar changed, during the period of the ban, to a fat "BANNED"
                          How about a more '1984' punishment: Remove all references to the poster and deny that they ever exhisted. When the period of the ban ends replace these references and deny that they were ever banned and then ban anyone who argues
                          'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                          - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

My God that is such a good idea Case. Let's do it!

Comment

Don't be giving AnnC any ideas. Look how she's messed with Lancer's login.

Comment

Working...
                              X