Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Great Library of Apolyton

has crashed and burned!

The GL (the two topped threads in Civ2-Strategy) has vanished. Can we have it back please?
    <hr>
    Is there no way we can even access old PMs just to make the transition - there was some fairly useful information 'archived' in mine ...
    <hr>
    On the whole a great improvement - keep up the good work guys.
    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

Re: Report from Urban Ranger (Part I)

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
      2. The rendering in Mozilla 0.9 is messed up. If you use Moz to look at this thread, you'll notice some of the rows are wider than others, esp. the first message that Markos posted. Also the table cells in the first column don't have the same width. Considering Moz is following W3C standards in rendering, maybe there's something messed up with the HTML code. Don't forget the DOCTYPE tag at the top of every HTML document Markos EDIT: Hmm, it looks normal after reloading. Weird.
      Unfortunately reloading only fixes part of the problem, the first (left-hand) column still has variable width under Moz 0.9. This thread is a good example.

Perhaps each row is actually a table all by itself? Too lazy to look at the source, sorry
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: The Great Library of Apolyton

Originally posted by Scouse Gits
        The GL (the two topped threads in Civ2-Strategy) has vanished. Can we have it back please?
        done

Is there no way we can even access old PMs just to make the transition - there was some fairly useful information 'archived' in mine ...
        http://apolyton.net/cgi-bin/ubb/privateview.cgi
        Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
        Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
        giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Re: Re: Report from Urban Ranger (Part I)

Perhaps each row is actually a table all by itself? Too lazy to look at the source, sorry
          yes, it's post is a separate table. this is done so that posts appear one by one and not all together

Comment

Re: Re: Unable to choose an Avatar

Originally posted by MarkG
            i dont have clue actually. lots of people have chose an avatar, some even uploaded one. i just changed mine without problems. the mentioned template has no changes....
            Is is possible that it's caused by cookie problems? I could never get them to work on the old site, but here they appear to. I'm wondering if my Uni has something on its server which is preventing them from working properly.
            The church is the only organisation that exists for the benefit of its non-members
            Buy your very own 4-dimensional, non-orientable, 1-sided, zero-edged, zero-volume, genus 1 manifold immersed in 3-space!
            All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That's his.
            "They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara

Comment

how about now?
              Works now, thank you !

Another thing: is there any magic you can run update the URL's that point to threads on the old UBB forums ?

eg.

should become

Comment

Chowlett,

That could be it. Check your browser to see if it has cookies disabled. If you are accessing this from a public computer however you might not want to have cookies set anyway, since other people could use the same computer masquerade as you on here.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Unable to choose an Avatar

Originally posted by Chowlett
                  Is is possible that it's caused by cookie problems? I could never get them to work on the old site, but here they appear to. I'm wondering if my Uni has something on its server which is preventing them from working properly.
                  try going to the control panel and choosing to not use the cookies

Comment

Originally posted by Aredhran
                    Another thing: is there any magic you can run update the URL's that point to threads on the old UBB forums ?

eg.

should become
                    http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=14513
                    you mean in the posts here?

i suppose it can be done, but it's kind of difficult...

Comment

Oh, I have now noticed that you can turn of the 'E-mail notification' by default now. With my posting patterns, I was at great risk of inadvertantly e-mail bombing my own inbox

Looks good. Visually will take some getting used to, but then again, so did UBB when I first started posting at these kind of places. Just makes a change. But it shouldn't take long. I am taking quite a shine to it. There are lots of features and it seems to make admin work easier...I'll have to suggest it to Reismark
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Is there no top function in the new system?
                        Or have all top threds been reset?

You should update the links on the pages.
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by vgriph
                          Is there no top function in the new system?
                          Or have all top threds been reset?
                          Just realized that this thread was a top thread. Put back the top flags on old top threads.

Comment

Just one more thing:

I miss the ability to click on the number showing the replies to get to the last post; can we get it back?

Comment

Great job guys!

Great upgrade MarkG! Congratulations!!!
                              Many usefull new features added!
                              Apolyton has just become much better!
                              Everything works fine with me so far.
                              I hope it remains that way so I won't have to grumble .

<i>Some answers & questions...</i>

Originally posted by Saddam
                              Also, can we still use the Old Smilies? i have seen these ones in the Europa Universalis forum. They are pretty lame.....
                              I see the same old cool smilies .

1) during the import, users registered before 15/2/1999 got the classic "0" unix date, 1/1/1970
                              And will this change back to the original registration date?

The rendering in Mozilla 0.9 is messed up.
                              This has to do with Netscape but with the creators of vBulletin also. Beleive me, when it comes to the design of webpages using complicated code the differences between the two browsers are increased! Fortunately or unfortunatelly most people are using Internet Explorer so better have less people with problems (Netscape) than more (IE) .

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                              Oh, I have now noticed that you can turn of the 'E-mail notification' by default now
                              I would recommend as some users can't find that option (too lazy maybe ) and if it is a customizable feature for admins to disable it by default and which ever wishes to enable it to do so through the options.

<i>A (very minor) observation</i>

Two icons haven't a tooltip: the "IP" icon and the "Add Me" icon for icq. Very minor but just in case...

Comment

you mean in the posts here?

i suppose it can be done, but it's kind of difficult...
                                Yes, that is what I meant.

I realize it's not easy, but think of all the threads that reference each other on Poly... They all point to the old forum, which will disappear at some point I assume, then we'll be left with broken links everywhere.

Surely, there must be a way to run a query to retrieve thread & forum numbers from the UBB, and match the names with the new one, then update the posts ?

Aredhran

Ahhh. nice to see the original smilies have returned , except the rolleyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X