A Thread In Which To Openly Report Spam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Thread In Which To Openly Report Spam

In another thread here in the OT folks who report spam and other abuses of the rules were labeled as "complainers". I think of it more as trying to keep the forum from degeneration into gibberish.

Before anyone labels me as one of the 5 "complainers" I have gone to Ming about the following:

1. I debated with Ming about what I considered a wrong he commited. I wasn't satisfied so I went to Mark. Mark agreed with me, but also supported his moderator, and I was satisfied, as was Ming. I consider this to be one of the few bumps in the road for Ming and I.

2. When Dookie pretty much called my wife a whore (and I couldn't actually lay my hands on him) I went to Ming who gave him a vacation. He realized his wrong and added a week on to it.

3. When Dookie was spamming my Karen Mills thread I twice went to Ming and asked that he not be banned for breaking the rules.

That's it. Ming, if you can think of any more please add them without exception, thank you.

So, I haven't been reporting spam to my threads, and when it happened, as in the case of Dookie, I sought to avoid punishment for the spammer.

Perhaps this misplaced wish to not see someone punished is a mistake however. Perhaps it's the duty of those of us who wish to see forums free of distracting spam to report it. However, I would not want to go behind anyones back, hence this thread.

Here is a report of spam in one of my threads in the OT that I submit to Ming for review:
    In my thread "Earth's Magnetic Field Gone In 2000 Years", Hydey made a post,

"I must be part of God's plan hehehe."

I do not see how this has anything to do with the subject of the thread or the discussion as it was ongoing. I report it openly so that Hydey may comment and ask that the rules of Apolyton be enforced as Ming sees fit.

Edit, spelling

<font size=1 face=Arial color=444444>[This message has been edited by Lancer (edited February 12, 2001).]</font>
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

We don't want to get everyone banned who slightly breaks the rules, do we?

Comment

Uhhhh... Lancer... maybe you have misread some of the earlier threads. I never said there were 5 complainers... (there are far more than 5) I said there are 5 people that receive most of the complaints FROM OTHER PEOPLE for spamming

Oh... and I will go check your thread out...

------------------
      Ming
      CivII & Off-Topic Forum Moderator
      Ming@Apolyton.net
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ooppss, sorry Ming, my mistake.

Comment

http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum20/HTML/001349.html

Comment

ROFL Iain! That's beautiful!

Har har har...the best I've seen at Apolyton yet! Priceless!

Comment

Iain Lindley...
              An old joke, but still a classic
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

What are you smoking, Lancer?
                And can I have some?

Uummmm...spam is bad, yes it is. I see it all the time, but I can't remember where. Don't pick on Hydey. He wears one of those helmets, you know.

------------------
                Bring it!

"How ridiculous and how strange, to be surprised by anything that happens in life." Marcus Aurelius (Meditations)
                Chief Revealer of Personal Foibles
                Life and death is a grave matter;
                all things pass quickly away.
                Each of you must be completely alert;
                never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

Well Super, the link is to this thread...Iain is reporting spam...I don't know, it just struck me.

Hydey shouldn't spam. I'm not picking on him, he picked on my thread and spammed it. Simple. That said, I haven't heard anything happening, no warning, no anything, so perhaps spamming is no longer against the rules?

Comment

o find the spam,

Go to the search screen. Search by my name.

All those threads will contain spam.

Copy the spam.

Come here and quote it.

Pump your fist in near orgasmic joy. You are an important factor here!
                    My brand new sig, written by Mr MarkG. (he didn't like the one about Ming being a goofy toofy.

"ok, fine.
                    from now on, i can refer to this thread whenever someone mentions acol as a place of freedom where you can post whatever you want and where noone is banned...."
                    --MarkG

and by MikeH
                    she's only illegal because of your ridiculous age of consent ages.

Comment

Umm, yeah, right...whatever. Actually, I couldn't care less.

Comment

http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum23/HTML/019995.html?108

Look at this! Shocking spam.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

And this surprises you?

(actually MikeH... I thought the link was going to be to the adulterated spam thread)
                          Keep on Civin'

Comment

That thread hadn't been started when I posted that or it might have been.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Any thread you start for people to report spam will itself become a spam target. This thread is a perfect example.
                              Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Working...
                              X