Phantom Threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom Threads

What's with threads getting "stuck between" two pages of a board? This has happened to me twice now, both times in the Civ2 Scenario Design forum. At least, that was what I was told had happened the first time, and I assumed as much this last time; my "Help with ED" thread is too low in the stack to be on the first page, but also too high in the stack to be in the second, or at least so it seems. The bottom of the first page claims to be the first X threads from a total of 43. The second says there are a total of 40 threads fitting the time period specified in the little drop-bar (at the time I last checked). So there are three threads stuck on neither page?

Sorry if this makes no sense, I'm just going off my own suspicions combined with Mercator's explanation from the last time such a thing happened. I don't know forum code at all. Can somebody tell me what causes this, and how I can find the thread stuck in Limbo? Assuming I'm making any sense at all, am referring to an existing phenomenon and not just playing into a weird joke of Mercator's, etc...

EDIT: Now the bloody thing's reappeared! What makes this stuff happen?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

You know, I have noticed that happening. It's like a thread just disappears. I can still find it, but as for searching for it on the forum itself, northing. Freaking Zero Island thread.

Comment

It usually shows up on 'my threads'.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The number of disappearing threads equals the number of topped threads, so I heard once.
        Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
        Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

You must not have made the proper offerings to the mods.
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Speaking of phantom threads, my threads dissappear like Hot Cakes, I hope they can fix this.

Comment

Originally posted by Maniac
              The number of disappearing threads equals the number of topped threads, so I heard once.
              Question asked and answered.

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn
                Speaking of phantom threads, my threads dissappear like Hot Cakes, I hope they can fix this.
                Believe me when I say that we are fixing things when your threads disappear
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I've noticed this bug a hell of a lot. I once even started a thread in a forum I moderated here asking who had dispensed with one of my threads, only to realize the thead had (as I termed it) "cloaked". I got really frustrated with the problem until someone explained to me that it's a bug in the code that runs the site.

Essentially, for each topped thread, other threads will go missing between the first and second page.

The easiest way around the problem is to click on the pull down menu that defaults to "last day" and change it to "the beginning". For some reason, this seems to cause all missing/cloaked/phantom threads to reappear.
                  Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                  Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                  7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Known bug, not as usual question as some others, but has been up before.
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley
                      You must not have made the proper offerings to the mods.
                      gods, mods, nothings is random in the english language....
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                        gods, mods, nothings is random in the english language....
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Once or twice threads I started dissappeared as soon as I would start another one
                          SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                          The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

notyoueither had a simple solution for this. When you suspect threads are disappearing between page 1 and 2, add "&perpage=50" or some other number, to the end of the url. That tells Poly how many threads you want displayed on one page. With a default of, oh, 30 or so, you can extend the number of threads displayed on page 1 to include the missing ones as well as the first lot from page 2 as well.

Test it out.
                            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

How come we can't set that in our preferences?

Comment

Working...
                              X