Trying to drive me to PLUS??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to drive me to PLUS??

The recent and massive increase in popups and popunders is really annoying.

I would suggest that, with PolyPlus now available to appease the ad-haters, the site owners have loosed the floodgates (formerly controllable with various viewing "styles") on the unfortunate hoi polloi who have not jumped on the PLUS bandwagon.

If, in the absence of any killer member benefits, they think this comprises a marketing plan to drive more people to go PLUS, they're sadly mistaken.

What's next, Markos, a return to objectionable ad content and spyware?

Frankly, I feel somewhat betrayed.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

I thought polyPLUS was supposed to reduce ads for everyone, not just eliminate them for PLUS members.
    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Does anyone really need a link to Firefox?
      Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
      Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

What style are you using?
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Just get the Google Toolbar
          Everything changes, but nothing is truly lost.

Comment

I deffinately get fewer pop-ups than before(some don't show correctly though)

Yes I use firefox
            Yes I allow poly pop-ups.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I think I may get a subscription

Comment

Jooiooiiiin uuusssssss!!!!
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Pay for me then

Comment

-JR,

Sorry to hear you are having a "massive" increase in popups. Maybe it's related to the recent server change or perhaps a change you made in your style setting. I really can't believe it is a "Plan".

Whatever, and I don't mean to be rude, but, I haven't seen a popup in a long time. Considering the amount of time we spend here, it's not very expensive to join.

Monk
                    so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

I haven't seen any pop-ups recently as well
                      but I can suggest google-bar to you. Disable all the options it comes with, but just turn on the pop-up blocker. It works great!

And of course, there's nothing wrong with being a pp-member!
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Opera
                        (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                        (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                        (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

for some strange reason I haven't had any popups since installed this google thingamajib.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                            for some strange reason I haven't had any popups since installed this google thingamajib.
                            hi ,

thats cause it comes with a pop up blocker , ....

so does the one from MSN , .....

but dont say no to pop ups , cause its money for apolyton , .... nothing in live is free , ....

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

All very nice, thanks for the advice.

But I can't install Opera or use the Google task bar. This is a work computer and the IT Cops rule my settings.

My current Style Set is default-Ultra Special. It used to be pretty effective at minimizing popups (started using it at Markos' suggestion). I haven't changed it in yonks. Cookies are on. Last cleared them about 2 weeks ago.

This morning, I've been to the Civ2 General forum, posted twice, downloaded once. I've had to close a couple popups, and when I opened a new browser window to check my settings, I had to close 4 popunders to get to it. That's almost a new popup for every action I take...

In going from the forum home to my control panel, then moving to settings, 3 more popunders appeared -- one for each click.

This is not my imagination. This is a major change in ad behavior under this style.
                              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Working...
                              X